Call Out Systems

reese006

Anyone have an experience with any basic call out systems? Have 2 facilities being operated by the same company and they need some form of notification for urgent alarms. These facilities are within a couple of square miles of each other. Concern is what if an operator is off at one facility and the other has an urgent alarm that he/she needs to check on. Currently only one facility is online and they are using a outside horn for notification but the new facility that is coming online will be too far away to hear the outside alarm. I was thinking of some sort of paging system but it doesn't need to be too fancy, at most only a total of 3-4 operators will be on shift at a time.

Just not sure where to start looking.

One facility has AB PLC's the other has Siemens. Both using separate Honeywell Experion for HMI, facilities are independent of one another, i.e. not networked together 2 separate HMI's. Would be nice if there was some sort of Honeywell add on just to add on to each.

if you are looking for something simple you can do something with wireless IO. Phoenix contact and a host of others make wireless IO that can look at a DI(for instance, the output going to the horn at the remote facility), and transmit that to the other site and trigger a DO that sounds a horn.

You could go more complex and have a ethernet or serial radio link so that they can pull the data into the HMI between facilities.

another cheap option would be a call out box that would call or page the operator when a alarm is present.

alot of options.... just depends on what you want to spend and how much info you need.

What about a radio link, you can send bits and words from one plc to the other, using serial port for each plc for instance. It´s just an idea.

Nope because it will need to be something that the operator can take with them as a lot of the equipment for both places is outside.

if you are looking for something simple you can do something with wireless IO. Phoenix contact and a host of others make wireless IO that can look at a DI(for instance, the output going to the horn at the remote facility), and transmit that to the other site and trigger a DO that sounds a horn.

You could go more complex and have a ethernet or serial radio link so that they can pull the data into the HMI between facilities.

another cheap option would be a call out box that would call or page the operator when a alarm is present.

alot of options.... just depends on what you want to spend and how much info you need.

The call out box that would page is what I was thinking. But the few that I have researched are pricey and are for like 500 pagers. They only have at most 3-4 operators per shift. I am just not sure who out there makes a basic system. If there was a box that was just looking for a DO from a PLC that would trigger a page would be simple solution and easy to install.

The only info needed would be that there is an Urgent alarm which is determined by the Honeywell HMI. The Honeywell HMI at the one facility that is running, on an urgent alarm triggers the outside horn. So if it was a box that sends a page out when it got a DO from the PLC would be very easy add to the program. And it would be the same for the new facility.

Last edited:
How about using a GSM modem to send a text message to the operator's cell phone? Would only need 1 modem per site.

Yea that is a good solution. The only problem is that if that operator is not on shift then they would still get the page, right? I think I need something that has to stay at the plant. I know that I could get them to commit to a pager contract so might be able to do a GSM modem to a pager that the plant purchases?

Last edited:
Yea that is a good solution. The only problem is that if that operator is not on shift then they would still get the page, right? I think I need something that has to stay at the plant. I know that I could get them to commit to a pager contract so might be able to do a GSM modem to a pager that the plant purchases?

That would work, if you're really into the off-site monitoring, you can get a company phone they need to carry on shift and have 2 way texting to get additional information.

Hello,

PeakHMI has a built-in notification system. "The HMI can use emails to send notifications to email accounts and/or SMS text to cell phones." It has days, and times for configured users and which user gets which alarm type.

Assuming an internet connection is available.

Good luck,

Mark
http://www.peakhmi.com/

I use alot of sensaphone call out devices, they call many numbers, fax, and have web publishers as well.

I checked out the web600 this looks to be in the ball park of what I am thinking will be the easist to implement. Just something looking for a dry contact and when it receives it sends out a text message. Also the price is not bad at around $400 and I like the battery backup option.