PV600 Comms Problem

naegely

I have a PV600 (2711-B6C9 PV600 Color Key/Touch, FRN 4.44) that I cannot figure out how to connect with.

This HMI has 2 RS-232 ports, one for printer (which cannot be disabled), and one for comms/programming. The comms port is connected to the serial port of an SLC 5/03. Communications are DH485, 19.2kb, everything works fine. Using my PCMK DH485 cable connected to the processor, I can see the SLC in Linx, but not the HMI.

I tried connecting directly to the comms / programming port of the PV with no luck at all. Tried both null and straight cables. Also tried downloading from PB32 using DF1 point to point rather than Linx without success.

I was able to make the program update I needed by loading from a memory card, but I would really like to find out what the trick is in case I run into this on another PV where I can't access the config menu.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Rob

The DH485 over RS-232 swamp claims another victim !

First, about the SLC-5/03 controller's two communication ports; they are separate. Connecting to the DH485 network on Channel 1 will let you see the controller, but it does not "bridge" or pass through to the DH485 network on Channel 0.

When Channel 0 is set for DF1, you can "pass through" it to another network. But with DH485, I don't think there is any way to bridge through between networks because DH485 does not include the principle of "internetworking".

So, with the PanelView 600, the "9" indicates it's a DH485 protocol unit with RS-232 hardware. So, when you connect to it (straight through cable only) you need to be running DH485 protocol. On a built-in serial port, this is the "1747-PIC/AIC+" driver in Windows XPSP2. Otherwise it's via a 1747-UIC that converts DF1-over-USB to DH485.