Suggestions for Electrical Test Bench Power Supply

rguimond

Lifetime Supporting Member
Budgeting for a proper electrical test bench in 2010. What would you recommend for:
  • Motor testing - 600V, 480V, 208V - 3-phase & 240/120 V - single-phase (max motor Hp - 7.5)
  • Instrumentation - 12 & 24 VDC c/w banana plug sockets
I was hoping to find a multi-tap transformer for the AC voltages and a good-quality linear power supply for DC. AC main supply would be 600 V, 3-phase.

One of the handiest things on a test bench is a pair of test probes wired in series with a 100 Watt lamp. You go from breaker to switch to lamp to probe with another probe connected to Neutral.
This is usefull for checking continuity, powering small loads, checking for ground faults etc. The power is limited by the lamp.
Roy

Budgeting for a proper electrical test bench in 2010. What would you recommend for:
  • Motor testing - 600V, 480V, 208V - 3-phase & 240/120 V - single-phase (max motor Hp - 7.5)
  • Instrumentation - 12 & 24 VDC c/w banana plug sockets
I was hoping to find a multi-tap transformer for the AC voltages and a good-quality linear power supply for DC. AC main supply would be 600 V, 3-phase.

You did not go into much detail on DC
What kind motors shunt compound etc
What kind of voltage

In past have found AC DC arc weldor works well for testing DC motors (90 VDC) perm magnet. Used Miller P 250 just a transformer rectifier type.

Dan Bentler

One of the handiest things on a test bench is a pair of test probes wired in series with a 100 Watt lamp. You go from breaker to switch to lamp to probe with another probe connected to Neutral.
This is usefull for checking continuity, powering small loads, checking for ground faults etc. The power is limited by the lamp.
Roy

Roy - that was a great suggestion. Reminded me of the best way I've found to bench test DC drives is with 100w lightbulbs... the higher the drive voltage the more you put in series. I never thought of doing what you suggest - makes perfect sense. Thanks for the tip.

Not really powering motors with DC. Just loop power and/or supply power to small devices (PLC, network switch, etc.)

Like Roy, we also had the same on our shop work bench. It was used more than anything on the bench. We always used a box cover like shown below. We could then un-plug the leads when not in use. We also had a switch installed next to it that would switch the receptacle between Test/Continuity & 120v

Box Cover.jpg