slc5/03 wireless scada?

keving9

We have a DH485 network (antiquated, I know)that has a SLC 5/03, 2-5/02's and a couple of HMIs. The boss asked for a "wireless Panelview". The operator has to leave the building from time to time as far as 2 miles away, and he'd like him to have information on what's going on while he's away. Anyone done anything like this? I've done other applications where an alarm dialed a phone number. How much more is easily available?
Thanks.

You's have to use a GSM (cellular) modem, I would think, for a "wireless Panelview". 2 miles is easy with a 900 MhZ wireless bridge if he's going to be at the same site and doesn't have to be "connected" during transit. Actually, I'd be tempted to try an omni-directional antenna at the base so the signal could be picked up anywhere in a circular area around the base. An omni-directional antenna on a vehicle connected to a wireless repeater and a wireless client adapter on a portable HMI could make this a feasible project. What kind of budget do you have?