[OT] Terminal block for analog loops

theDave2

The customer has spec'd the following:

"For analog loops, provide terminals with test lead connection for loop testing ability where test leads can be placed in series with the instrument loop without affecting the loop wiring."

In all my travels I cannot find one where I can attach test leads (meter w/250ohm resistor) without disturbing the field wiring, and then open a switch to put my meter in the circuit.

Any help ?

Dave

This is what we use ALWAYS for the + of the analog signals. We use Phoenix contact terminals that can open up so we can measure the current value without removing any wires.

Guys, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see any place to actually insert a meter probe so you don't have to hold it.

Holding the probes against the screw terminal or wire/test point isn't what they are asking 'cause you could easily move the probe and open up the circuit.

Guys, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see any place to actually insert a meter probe so you don't have to hold it.

Holding the probes against the screw terminal or wire/test point isn't what they are asking 'cause you could easily move the probe and open up the circuit.

These are not screw terminal, they are sprig terminals, and there is a place where you can connect the probes. If you go to the Phoenix internet page, you can see pictures with the probes.

These are not screw terminal, they are sprig terminals, and there is a place where you can connect the probes. If you go to the Phoenix internet page, you can see pictures with the probes.

I went to that page and thought the spring there was for only for the wire but now looking closer I think I can see an extra hole between the big round and square ones that would be for the meter probe, right ?

Opps I was referring to the .pdf, now I'll go to the web page.

Last edited:
I went to that page and thought the spring there was for only for the wire but now looking closer I think I can see an extra hole between the big round and square ones that would be for the meter probe, right ?

Yes you are wright. If you can find their catalog "CLIPLINE" from 09/10 and if you look at page 116, you can see a picture with the test leads installed across the terminals.

I have used fuse terminals to fuse our 4-20ma inputs with 32ma fuses to protect the modules.

For troubleshooting you bridge the fuse with your meter leads and then rotate the fuse terminal open to get your reading, then pop the fuse back in. Most manufacturers make these type fuse terminals.