Terminal Block Depiction in Schematic

theColonel26

Lifetime Supporting Member
  1. Which Style to you expect to see on a drawing?
  2. Which style to you prefer?

Keep in mind this being used on very large projects

Style 1
uc

uc

Style 2
uc

uc

2 is a PITA!

+1

Trying for 2 would end up being a logistical nightmare with multiple pages of a schematic.

Also, I would suggest instead of the jumpers as you show them to use arrows. A down arrow with the wire number off the power supply, and an up arrow on every use. If 2 or more rungs together call the same wire then 1 arrow could be shown going to all.

Having been using EPLAN for more than 5 years, I am still to figure out how to deal with terminal blocks there. I was expecting the software to figure out for me how to evenly fill a terminal strip, preferably with no more than one wire per a connection point and to get all the saddle jumpers right... no such luck. Still have to do it the old way, by brute force.

Or I am missing something important.

As EastSideSquirrel says.

However I occasionally have put a dedicated power supply on a page - say one in a hoist's local enclosure. Otherwise all the power feeds at the start of the schematic, then reference that wire number throughout.

Thank you !!!!!! you guys have confirmed I am not insane. :p

Number 2 is just a mess.

I am currently talking to the developers of SkyCad about how terminal block bridging should be depicted on a schematic.

SkyCad is by far the best Electrical CAD I have ever used it is just so easy to use but powerful at the same time (which is hard to do). It's still under heavy development so they are still adding new features.

My only complaint is how terminal block bridging is handle on the actual schematic. They tell me they are working on a solution. :p

You can check it out if you want https://skycad.ca/

Disclaimer: Technically I'm a beta tester but I'm not paid or anything I just really love the software.

Having been using EPLAN for more than 5 years, I am still to figure out how to deal with terminal blocks there. I was expecting the software to figure out for me how to evenly fill a terminal strip, preferably with no more than one wire per a connection point and to get all the saddle jumpers right... no such luck. Still have to do it the old way, by brute force.

Or I am missing something important.
had the same problem with SEE Electrical(Stay Away, It's Trash) it just didn't understand how bridging should work. It made my life hell.

Last edited:
I think terminal block bridging would be very hard to accomplish across multiple pages of a schematic.

To show bridging after all the wiring pages have a page that shows the terminal blocks, by number, and show the wire number going to each there.

EDIT: Unfortunately this example doesn't have any bridging.

Capture.JPG

Style #1. Although, I'm used to keeping the power supplies on a separate page and referencing them (have power distribution sheets).

And I would not put both ends of a single loop on two terminal blocks. I mean I prefer to see, let's say TB1-1 - DC+, TB2-1 0VDC; TB2-1 - PB1 - R1 - TB2-2, etc. And I suppose this drawing was just for instance, and there are some fuses in the real one.

To every one making various comments about the other stuff in the drawing....

Um Yeah... that drawing was created specifically as minimal example.

I'm not an idiot :rolleyes: Yeah, I'm totally going to design a system without fuses.

I do not use fuses either - occasionally circuit breakers to allow isolation of a card that is all. No ground on the DC either - no need for fuses then. Nothing to short out to in the filed - nice and clean.