Hyperterminal

searay1313

I am trying to us a US Robotics external modem with Hyperterminal to connect to a GE 9030 PLC. The instructions say to disconnect hyperterminal after the connection is made to open the COMM port, but when I disconnect, the modem hangs up. Is there a way to keep the connection live and open the comm port?

I havent looked at Pierre's zip file but I am wondering? HOW is the modem connected to the 9030? Does the 9030 have a CMM card?

The programming port on a 9030, the 9 pin connector, is RS422 and uses SNP (serial ninety protocol).

Except for working with ASCII I dont understand what you want to do. There is no way you can use HyperTerminal to program a 9030.

I think more details need to be given...Steve may offer more but I still think we will need to know WHAT you are wanting to do AND what components are involved.

The modem on the 9030 end is a Horner Electric SNP module (HE693SNP940) with a built in 14.4 K modem. It's an actual module, so it doesn't go through the the programming port on the 9030 power supppy (which is a 15 pin SNP, or 25 pin SNP on a CMM)

I want to use hyperterminal just to establish the connection, and open the comm port back up to Versapro. Versapro has its own modem dialer, which I have been able to connect with, but the receiving modem manufacturer doesn't recommend using it, as it freezes on downloads.

Thanks for the ZIP file Pierre, I'll give it a shot!

Before you invest a lot of money and time in this, you should verify that you can upload/download the program through the Horner module. I don't think you can. You can't do it via the CMM311 module. You can connect and monitor the program and make simple changes like writing a new timer preset or changing a NO contact to NC, but that's about the extent of it.

I just checked. Page 6 of manual m008105 available from the Horner website http://www.heapg.com says

"Warning: This port is not intended for the transfer of Series 90-30 system configuration data."

Last edited:
This file is a program which can establish a link and when you close it it ask if you also want to close the com port. Say NO and it will be open for other softwares

It was graciously supplyed to me by The_Wanderer (tancks again bud)

I finally got it working with Hyperterminal. I was able to download my program changes. True, I cannot change the rack configuration remotely as the manual clearly states, but I'm only interested in changing logic. Saves me alot of flights to New Jersey!
Thanks for all your help.

Hi i know this is and old thread, but i have a similar problem, if i use the sotware sent by pierre, my old laptop stays connected to the plc by modem when i close program, but with my new dell laptop it always disconnect from line when i close the program, the internal modem is a soft conexant. Is it possible for a software modem to maintain a connection? or do i just need to send a different initailization string? on my old laptop i must send AT&D0&K0 string to stay connected but i doens't work on the new laptop.

I must be able to connect because i use a kepserver driver that doesn't have modem support!

I'd recommend giving up on the internal modem, and using an external US robotics modem with a serial connection. I've had no luck making an internal modem on a newer laptop stay connected.

if i had no choice i will do that but i will have to buy a lot of external modem, it is for all my client and they all use laptop's and the new laptop doesn't have serial ports (must use usb adapter)

I haven't had much luck with those either, mostly due to lack of documentation. Please let me know if it works for you.