help to set up a network

angi

Hi guys

There are some of SCL5/04 PLCs on the floor standalone, I want to setup communication between my Database and the PLCs(the DB only accept STRING Data). I need some good idea from your guys to setup a cost effective network.

Thanks

Effective network with string only data? Anyway, you have RS232 on PLC and you may send ASCII characters to PC hyperterminal - its was very effective in 80th.

Val99

I want to do the same thing at beginning, but the PLCs are still standalone, what I want is to setup a network to make it works.

Paully's50

I will put the information into STRING by RS232 or other way you guys suggested, and the DB will get it.

I have just started playing with the Moxa MGate EIP3270, which converts RS-232 DF1 communication to Ethernet PCCC comms. This is a dual port unit, that would connect 2 DF1 converters. They make a single channel unit as well. One of those at each 5/04 would put them on ethernet. At that point, you could use RSLinx to establish an OPC connection to the PLC, and whatever software on the PC (RS Historian? Haven't worked with it, so not sure) or even write a small VB app to pull the data from Linx and stuff it into your database.

Val99
Paully's50

I will put the information into STRING by RS232 or other way you guys suggested, and the DB will get it.

I was going for what software/vba/other...method that you were going to use, just trying to understand the STRING type limitation.

Personally, I would put in 1761-NET-ENI serial to Ethernet converter on each 5/04, then you can pull data from the 5/04 over Ethernet, and pretty much have full access to the PLC.

Once you have that communications in place, use software that can read OPC data (FactorySQL or other) and put that information directly into a database such as Access or SQL. That method has no STRING limitations, and is the most flexible.

Paully's suggestion was pretty close to the same as mine. I would only point out that the Moxa device does the same thing as the NET-ENI for about half to cost.

Why not DH+?

Sure, you'd need a fairly expensive adapter for the PC, but it would be much faster and much much more reliable than a serial connection. The cost of one USB to DH+ adapter is probably less than four NET-ENI modules too.

DH+ is very easy to install, configure, and troubleshoot. It is extremely reliable too. Your PLCs could then communicate with each other and you could connect your programming PC to any one of them and access all of them

Just my opinion.