Training advice?

daviddsims

I am working for a manufacturing company and we have several machines with PLC's in them. We have two Micrologix 1000 and two with Koyo 05. I have been watching the contractors come make changes on the machines and I am so curious to learn. I was wondering what advice can you give me on starting to learn some about programming. I have a Mac computer now so really need windows to get into that. I have all the programs on file on my work desktop with ladder diagrams from the machines. I really want to learn the basics of changing some timers on the Micrologix and Koyo as that is what we mainly do. Can anyone give me some pointers on what I need to get started in this.

I am working for a manufacturing company and we have several machines with PLC's in them. We have two Micrologix 1000 and two with Koyo 05. I have been watching the contractors come make changes on the machines and I am so curious to learn. I was wondering what advice can you give me on starting to learn some about programming. I have a Mac computer now so really need windows to get into that. I have all the programs on file on my work desktop with ladder diagrams from the machines. I really want to learn the basics of changing some timers on the Micrologix and Koyo as that is what we mainly do. Can anyone give me some pointers on what I need to get started in this.

If most of your reason for paying contractors is to change timers, then pay the contractors once more for a low cost HMI connected to the PLC's. Then, you can simply change the timer presets from the HMI screen whenever necessary.

Not saying you shouldn't learn how to program the controllers too - it's great that you're willing to learn. But for what you want, the HMI is a better and safer method of changing the machine timer settings. So, while you're studying PLCs, ask your vendors about an HMI.

We change times on the machine cycles frequently and have to have him come in everytime. At our other location I worked with our electrical engineer and he was training us on Allen Bradley. Got as far going online and was so interested. Then I was transferred and all the learning stopped. Got a call from our other location in Nashville and they want me to transfer there in a few months. The ops manager asked if I was interested in going to training for PLC because they are in the same problem of always calling someone to change timers. Of course I want to use the free training but wanted to get a jumpstart on allen bradley.

couple of cost issues you will need cable 1747-pmo2 for the micrologix. USB cable Ab 9300-USBS and RS logix 500, this is for your two micrologix processors, to add capability to include SLC 500 series a 1747-CP3 cable is needed. This will run a fair chunk of money. I've never worked on Koyo so have no idea on that one. this will allow you to communicate with the processor now heres another concern AB processors in these series mentioned do not contain descriptors to identify which input is which or which timer is which this is contained on the source code files which your contractor you hire probably has. Doesn't necessarily stop you as its possible to reverse engineer from the electrical schematics but will be tricky if you do not understand the lanquage well. Then you want to obtain the Micrologix instruction set from Rockwell which breaks down the instruction types. There is one for SLC as well. Get a copy of the Micrologix operation manual as well. These can be downloaded from AB website.
Another good book to learn from is this one
http://claymore.engineer.gvsu.edu/~jackh/books/plcs/pdf/

the examples used in this are primarily in the AB lanquage structure. This one is free as well Good luck

If you really want to start programming you will need a bunch of gear. See all the previous answers for specifics. If you just want to start learning how stuff works you can download A simulator form www.thelearningpit.com You can test it out for free for 2 weeks. In this time you will know right away if you really want to persue programming any further. I used this sim many, many years ago and just loved it. You can program till your hearts content.(y)

We have two Micrologix 1000 and two with Koyo 05. I have been watching the contractors come make changes on the machines and I am so curious to learn. I was wondering what advice can you give me on starting to learn some about programming.

As far as the Koyo unit. I would try to get the Boss to buy a spare unit. Automation Direct sells the 05. If it's the DC unit it's only $99. The AC unit or relay outputs are slightly higher. But I would not put the unit on the parts shelf. I would put it at my desktop. Then download the demo version of Direct Soft 5.3 (it's free). If your desktop has a serial port the comm cable is about $30. If you only have USB ports then it's about $39 (EA-MG-PGM-CBL) (see if you can get the boss to buy this also). The USB cable is a better deal because almost no laptops come with real serial ports anymore. Load the software on your desktop and start communicating with the PLC! If you need any help, just start a new topic on this forum, and I'm sure someone will be glad to help you.

The demo version of Direct Soft is limited to 100 words (pretty small PLC program) You may or may not be able to open the programs for the Koyo 05 because of program size. The full version of Direct Soft 5 is $395. Depending on how successful you are on getting the boss to buy all or part of this stuff. Here is a little point that might help swing the deal. In both versions of Direct soft there is a program called DNloader. Even if you only have the demo version and cannot view the program, you will be able to load the program into the PLC with this utility.

Last edited:
PLC Traing

I know this isn't free but if your company is serious about the training here is the best! Watch Ron's videos and have a look around his website.
Also, here is a regular on this forum and has help all of use out.

http://www.ronbeaufort.com/index.htm

Hope this helps,
Bob O

And here is another source for hands on trainers.
Put together by a trusted forum member.

http://www.plctrainer.net/PLCTrainers.htm

Thanks Mickey :)

daviddsims,
You can also buy used (eBay) if you want to go the cheap route and start learnig on your own by watching Ron's videos and just giving it a try...

Both Automation Direct and Allen Bradley have free software to use that will help you, if you go with AB get a MicroLogix 1000 if you want to use the free software

You will need to master the basics first using what the others have posted above. Once you do that, here's a link to an operator interface panel used for changing setpoints. I'm sure other brands are available that will work.
This will work on the DL05's and MicroLogix 1000. Check out the different models available if you need to do more than just change setpoints.
Link:
http://www.automationdirect.com/adc...timate_Text_Panels/Optimate_400_Series/OP-414

Last edited:
Has anyone ever heard of Vipa PLC? We received two machines from Germany that had those in them and all of our local PLC guys did not want to mess with them. I think they had step 7 software so they pulled them out and replaced with Koyo 05 and reprogrammed them.

Welcome to the forum. I hope this doesn't offend. Maybe you might want to start a new thread about the Vipa plc. My personal preference would be the Koyo, I'm more familiar with it.
I used the search button at the top, typed in vipa. There are quite a few posts on this website about it.

Last edited:
If most of your reason for paying contractors is to change timers, then pay the contractors once more for a low cost HMI connected to the PLC's. Then, you can simply change the timer presets from the HMI screen whenever necessary.

Not saying you shouldn't learn how to program the controllers too - it's great that you're willing to learn. But for what you want, the HMI is a better and safer method of changing the machine timer settings. So, while you're studying PLCs, ask your vendors about an HMI.

THIS IS GOOD ADVICE....
MAKE SURE THAT YOU FULLY UNDERSTAND THE PROCESS.
Learning to install an HMI for this will be a nice project. AD is a great product.
They have many basic HMIs that will work for you.
Go for it.

Once again thanks guys for all the help. The programmer that comes in and changes the PLC times on our Koyo units has a program with not only the ladder logic but small dots in an excel type format that he just clicks on and changes time. I was familiar with ab and using the timers in the ladder logic but this is totally different. I am going to get the cables and look at the whole micrologix 1000 training board. Do you guys think it is a good teaching tool or would just having a spare plc and a windows laptop with the demo version be just as good?