Remote accessing a ControlLogix PLC system

Mr. Rick

I need to look into some remote programming, and my client tells me that A/B once sent them a device that allowed remote connections, all via ethernet (no dial-up needed) for a previous job. Whatever this device was, it sat between site's Internet router and the PLC, and would allow remote engineers to connect directly. I know this could be done with a PC that perhaps had VPN enabled, but that is not what he had.

The ControlLogix system has an EBNT Ethernet device within the chassis. There may also be a 9300 RADES available, but as far as I know that particular device tops out at 56K. Can the 9300 be re-configuring to allow VPN or bridging through one of the ports? I think this would be a bit faster than 56K.

Probably a "VPN endpoint" or "VPN concentrator" in Cisco talk. Since you're communicating over TCP/IP it has more to do with networking and remote access than PLCs or A/B.

we have ethernet cards in with all are control logix plc they are on there own network in the plant with a firewall between them and the company network we VPN into the company network. then VPN in to the PLC network and you can then program any of the PLC's from home.

We would use something like this:
http://www.phoenixcontact.com/automation/32119_47123.htm

This type of device will allow an end user to initiate a VPN connection back to a supporting OEM with little or no support from the end user's IT department. On one side of the link there needs to be some IT intervention to put in rules to forward the VPN requests to what ever IP adress you have set up the router on. Alternately, you can put the router on a DMZ.

<disclaimer> I work for a distributor of Phienix Contact products.