Joysticks & switches on profibus

dan-c

Hi,

I am new here and new to PLC so please be gentle. I am starting to design a system with Siemens S7-300 and I need to have a remote control box connected with profibus cable to the PLC. Are there joysticks and switches available that connect direct to the profibus, or should I use some kindof profibus connected I/O board and have the PLC communicate with the I/O board over profibus ?

Many thanks in advance for any help given. Sorry if my question is a bit dumb.

Thx Dan

Personally I'd connect the CPU to remote I/O by profibus such as the ET200M range but this would depend on if you have more than just a couple of inputs. You would have to supply more information such as locations, distances, total i/o etc
I have no idea if you get profibus enabled joysticks but if you did they would be expensive and joysticks tend to wear out or get damaged.

cheers

Hi guys. Thx for the advice. I will look at the details for the ET200M range of I/O boards. Much appreciated