O.T. - Waxed Lacing Tape Anyone?

northwind

Anyone still use this stuff instead of wire ties for panel building?

I kind of like the look, and not gashing my fingers on the cut offs. I don't find it mutch slower (if any)once you get the hang of it.

Have only used it for mods to some existing panels that were done that way, in order to match what was there, not on a new build (yet).
I was thinking it might be a way to differentiate our panels from the competition, but didn't know if it would earn the "wow" :geek: factor or the "wow, that ridiculous" (n) .factor

Thoughts?

Thanks Eric,
Yes, I'm familiar with Allied, that's where I ordered it. Just wondering if anyone else uses it, or is it a lost art?

I'll agree it looks great when done properly, the problem I have as an end user is that no matter how complete a panel seems when installed, we always end up modifying them at some later date when our production dept asks for X, Y or Z. It's then that wire ties come into their own, but I insist that the ends are rounded off when cut so that you don't gash your fingers.

I have the same problem with "spiral wrap" often used on hinged panels, it looks good until you need to modify.

So my vote goes to cable ties.

Andy.

IIRC the US Nuclear submarine fleet used this in many of its control panels (all hardwired swtiches and buttons at the time)

If its what I'm thinking of, yes, it looked nice, held up well and did the job. We never modified the nuclear controls so new wires were rarely an issue.

I couldn't do that in a control panel now that I'm on the design side - too many changes, tie wraps are too easy to use and not muck up (even though people still do break things with them...)

-John

IIRC the US Nuclear submarine fleet used this in many of its control panels (all hardwired swtiches and buttons at the time)

If its what I'm thinking of, yes, it looked nice, held up well and did the job. We never modified the nuclear controls so new wires were rarely an issue.

I couldn't do that in a control panel now that I'm on the design side - too many changes, tie wraps are too easy to use and not muck up (even though people still do break things with them...)

-John

Din, ding, ding; we have a winner!
A nuke sub is the first place I saw this, but I recently ran into some industrial control panels done this way. (The guy who wired them originally was from the nuclear sub world as well)

Would it pass UL, especially vis-a-vis flammability? I don't know much about the stuff, but if it's 'waxed' it would make me wonder.

Here in Oregon and Washington, if it's not UL listed it's a non-starter.

Geez! I used to use that stuff in the early 60's - 1mm solid clear plastic as well.
Many on the panel builders in Ozz insist on using stocking - man that is for the birds - hairy ends - impossible to work with over a period of time - one saving factor - CHEAP!!!
To a door I either use spiro wrap or (on a job where the customer is paying top dollar) flexible conduit - not the ordinary stuff but the really flexible and expensive stuff from Phoenix.
Cable ties and any form of lacing is too slow to doors and terible to work with if there is an addition. I generally find spiro wrap the fastest/neatest - hard to make cable ties look good to a door.

I kind of like the look, and not gashing my fingers on the cut offs.

Not in years and years. The last personal gear I had that had any was a what, 1958 Heathkit Apache TX-1 transmitter.

But why are you gashing your fingers? Ohhh... the "Cut Offs". Trimming with pliers will leave very sharp edges, but using a decent application/tensioning tool like Panduit and others make doesn't leave any sharp edge at all. At least not with the ties we use.

I've never seen this stuff before. How do you apply it to the wires? Just tie them up? but my arthritis aches at the thought of tying all those knots.

TM

It is a long-chain hitch. Tie one end off securely, run it lengthwise along the top of the cable bundle about 6 inches, wrap it circumferentially around the cable bundle, passing it through the loop you just made in line with the lengthwise run. Then run another 6 inches, and repeat as needed.

The waxed cord was used almost exclusively, as its friction holds the loops in place well.

You can use longer or shorter lengthwise runs depending on how completely you want it wrapped.

once upon a time – when I was a clumsy kid and just beginning to "work" on stuff, my father told me a story ...

he had been an electrician's mate on a Navy destroyer during World War II ... the ship had been damaged in combat and several electrical panels needed to be rebuilt ... my father and several other young electrician's mates were each assigned their own panel to work on ...

my father described the extra pains he took with his rewiring job – including how he had used a thin slip of wood (actually a tongue depressor from sick bay) to evenly space each one of the "lacings" on the wire bundles ...

days later, when the panels had all been completed, the ship's chief electrician came in to do a preliminary visual inspection ... he opened each panel, one-by-one, and looked inside ... sometimes he looked for a minute or two – sometimes for much longer ... throughout all of this he never said a word, never made a sound, never changed his expression ...

finally he grouped all of the electrician's mates together in front of my father's panel ... he opened the doors wide and said only this: "Now THAT'S the way it SHOULD BE done." ... and then he walked out of the compartment ...

I'll never know that old navy chief's name – but I humbly appreciate the effect he's had on my life ...