Replacing a Compact L32E with a Compact L33ER

Saturn_Europa

I have a processer that stopped functioning L32E. The only spare available is an Compact L33ER. Are these processers compatible? The IO is Analog out, Analog In, Relay out and 24 v sink in. There are only 8 modules.

Thanks

If you’re not using the serial port, hardware will likely be fine. The memory card if different if you use it. Both use 1769 I/O modules. The L33ER has the same or better specs for most stuff.

The next potential problem might be firmware revision and Logix 5000 availability. The L32E firmware tops out at V20. The L33ER firmware starts at 20.

The last potential problem to come to mind is unlikely. If you’re using some older, probably non-Rockwell HMI, memory access changed at some point for better data security, and you might not be able to communicate with higher revisions of 20. I recall something maybe around 20.016-ish. I don’t remember much about it. I think all my 20 stuff is 20.019.

^^^ Everything 5618 said is true and correct. ^^^

I do it all the time. Trying my best to phase out all v20's and earlier. If you have a good backup.ACD, the hardware change will take you ~20 minutes. The most challenging piece of this was reworking the HMI communications pathway in FTVME.

Thank you for the replies. I'm on a fishing boat in a remote area. I don't have any RS Logix software. The integrator is going to drop ship a USB with the program on it to the harbor. I'm going to copy it into the SD card for the L33ER and cross my fingers. Luckily the HMI is factory talk.

I don't have anyway to get the program off of the Compact Flash card onto the SD ��

Hopefully it works!!

The only way to make this work is for the integrator to load the program into a 1769-L33ER, then save the memory image onto the SD card. That image will contain the firmware and the user program.

They cannot simply send you the project archive (*.ACD), or a backup image from a 1769-L32E controller's CF card.

ok!! thanks for the clarification. I was wondering why they didn't just email the program. if they're going through the trouble of flying up a memory card, they probably are on the right track.

The only way to make this work is for the integrator to load the program into a 1769-L33ER, then save the memory image onto the SD card. That image will contain the firmware and the user program.

They cannot simply send you the project archive (*.ACD), or a backup image from a 1769-L32E controller's CF card.

Do you have any directions on installing the SD card? Plug it in and cycle power?

When the controller powers on, the boot firmware checks the SD card for a text file that indicates how it should handle the image on the SD card. Ideally your integrator should create the memory image on the SD card with the "Load on Corrupt Memory" feature selected, or the "Load Always" feature selected.

If they created it with "Load on User Command" feature selected, then you would need Studio 5000 Logix Designer software to go online and issue that command.

I'm not sure why they are flying you an SD card if you have an Internet connection. You could use an SD imaging utility and e-mail or a file drop service. I'm not 100% sure you couldn't just use Windows file transfer and format the card for FAT16.

I wish RA made it easy to put a file directly onto an SD card, but they just don't. You have to compile the program by downloading it to the correct model of controller, and make what is essentially a whole disk image.

When the controller powers on, the boot firmware checks the SD card for a text file that indicates how it should handle the image on the SD card. Ideally your integrator should create the memory image on the SD card with the "Load on Corrupt Memory" feature selected, or the "Load Always" feature selected.

If they created it with "Load on User Command" feature selected, then you would need Studio 5000 Logix Designer software to go online and issue that command.

I'm not sure why they are flying you an SD card if you have an Internet connection. You could use an SD imaging utility and e-mail or a file drop service. I'm not 100% sure you couldn't just use Windows file transfer and format the card for FAT16.

I wish RA made it easy to put a file directly onto an SD card, but they just don't. You have to compile the program by downloading it to the correct model of controller, and make what is essentially a whole disk image.

Ken, should the L33ER processer be in Program when I boot it up the first time with the new SD card?

Put the CPU in "Remote" or "Prog" mode when you cycle power. I think if it's in "Hard RUN" mode it can't load the new program off the SD card.

I wish these generation of controllers had a scrolling display. Grr.

I admit that recovering a controller without using RSLogix software tools isn't part of my experience because I always have the software tools.