RsLinx or ABCIP DA server

phil hughes

Lifetime Supporting Member
We presently have a Wonderware application using RS LINX PRO /opc dde communicating via a 1761 NET ENI module to a compact logix L30 processor. We have communication errors occasionally, wondering if we would be more efficient using wonderware's ABCIP DA Server?

RSLinx is very good at what it does, but it is not the most efficient opc server around.

Most people opt for a third-party solution, they are usually better optimised for data transfers.

I do not know the ABCIP DA server you mention, but that is just one choice of many, google "allen-bradley opc servers".

We presently have a Wonderware application using RS LINX PRO /opc dde communicating via a 1761 NET ENI module to a compact logix L30 processor. We have communication errors occasionally, wondering if we would be more efficient using wonderware's ABCIP DA Server?

If you are using the WW FSGateway to communicate with RSLinx OPC, then you effectively have 3x communication transactions happening, 1 from RSLinx to the PLC, 1 from FSGateway to RSLinx OPC, then WW Suitelink to FSGateway.
By using the DASABCIP server, you will eliminate the need to communicate via OPC, as the DASABCIP server communicates directly to the PLC.

Plus, by using the DAS server, is one less application to manage :cool:

You may need to look at tag scan times and quantity of tags. Also read all the fine details in the 1761-NET-ENI manual on it's limitations. It has limited number of available connections. If you have a couple of HMI's and other stuff it could be overloading the module and serial port, especially if you go online to program with RSLogix.

Darren