ENBT equivalent for CompactLogix?

Bluetooth

I have an L32E Processor. I need a way to communicate to the processor over Ethernet/IP in addition to the ethernet port on the processor itself. If this were ControlLogix, I would just get an ENBT card. Is there an equivalent solution for CompactLogix L32E?

Thanks.

Not really. You could use a 1761-NET-ENI on the serial port, but it is very limited in the amount of connections it can handle compared to the built-in ethernet port. Also you will only be able to use it for programming, messaging and general TCP traffic (HMIs), etc.

Darren

Thanks Darren.

I tried the 1761-NET-ENI without much luck as you mentioned. I'm polling from Honeywell Experion. I tried both an AB Channel and an OPC Channel through the ENI, without much consistancy (which is why I'm searching for another solution). It sounds like the ENI wasn't made for this kind of application?

@lijason
I need an additional Ethernet port. The reason is that two different companies need to have access to this controller, but I don't want each company to see the other company's network.

It sounds like the ENI wasn't made for this kind of application?

I do not know what Rockwell's true intent was with that product other than adding a fairly cost effective way to get a A-B PLC with serial port only on Ethernet.

Also, as far as Logix processors go I have not had very good luck with communicating through a serial port to the internal tag database very well.

One solution I have used effectively is to set up the information you want to pass to the other system as an array and use the "Map PLC/SLC Messages..." from the logic menu and then setup your communications to the CompactLogix through the NET-ENI as if it was a SLC. This seems to remove the overhead associated with the Logix tag database.

Darren

Rockwell makes enbt modules for compactlogix. I think you are limited to 2 per processor.

Here is th catalog info http://www.ab.com/en/epub/catalogs/12762/2181376/2416247/407648/7921606/tab3.html

That is correct, provided he also upgrades to a L4x processor, which it sounds like the systems involved would be a good idea.

Also, the other method would be to get with your IT department and I would assume the other people are coming in through a VPN. If so, they can create routing tables that will keep them from seeing each others network and keep it separate. You could then use only one Ethernet port. If you want to discuss the details of that solution and what to ask the IT department then send me a private message with your contact details and we can talk on the phone. For something like that it is easier to discuss the initial details before continuing the conversation in the forum.

Darren

The 1768-ENBT and 1768-EWEB only work with the 1768-L43 processor, not the 1769-Lxx processors.

Maybe it is possble to setup a VPN connection for the 2 separate external connections in such a way that they are each only granted access to certain IP addresses. In that way you can satisfy your requirements without having to add any networking hardware.

edit: dang phonecall in the middle of me writing this post.