Linux Alarm Notification Software

jgreenewv

Lifetime Supporting Member
I checked on the Google, but didn't come up with anything, so I thought I'd check here. We have an upcoming project that may end up using a Linux-based server, and I wanted to see if anyone knew of an alarm notification software that would work on Linux. I've used SCADAlarm, Win-911 and SCADAPhone before, but they are all Windows-based. If anyone has a lead to something that may work, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Joe

MAybe you can help me?

Hi,
I can't really help with what you are talking about, however, can I ask you a question. I have a project which requires me to send alarm signals from a PCS7 system via hyperlink, so that the alarms can be printed out on a computer over or throughout any where on a network. Is there a wway of doing this?
Regards.
D

I remember a project with Dialogic "voice" cards and Win-911. Getting the drivers working was a little painful, but the technology was cool.

Do you need to relay statuses or actually have users acknowledge alarms? For the first, there may be email to voice enunciation gateways or something that would work.

I didn't come up with anything obvious - but someone should make such a product, especially with all the text-to-speech APIs available and VoIP technology.

We use Nagios combined with a couple custom plugins that one of my programmer buddies whipped up for me.

I output the alarm status to a database, Nagios reads the database, fires off the plugins to spit out msgs, when you *ack* the problem in nagios, it goes back to the database and updates it.

surferb:
Yes, the one project I did with Win-911 was interesting, to say the least. I did get it to work reasonably well, but it had some intermittent issues (that I believe were due to the Dialogic card) that no one could find a solution to.

ghettofreeryder:
The problem with using PagerDuty is that we have quite a few customers with no Internet access at their site, which makes a software-based solution absolutely necessary.

Dravik:
I'll take a look at Nagios and see if it's something we could get to work.

Generally, we use a program like this to dial out and annunciate alarms to the customer's field personnel. If the customer's site has Internet, we of course have a whole range of options, but we probably have more sites without Internet than we do with.

Not sure of a linux solution, but our system sends messages out through our email smtp server.

The only Linux solution I have heard of is from Inductive Automation. Not sure if they have the addins necessary to do that, but it may be worth some investigation.

Oakley,

I am planning to use Ignition for this system, and if I had Internet access at the site, e-mailing alarms might be workable. But, I'm still going to need an alarm dial out system. It's looking more and more like I'm going to need to use a hardware solution.

Is it actually cheaper/more viable to buy the dial out hardware plus maintain a phone line than an Internet connection? I'm curious in a general sense, not just this site. I know we're dealing with a lot of remote locations.

Most places probably need a phone on site, but may not need an internet connection. This makes sense. I do know that using Alerting in FPMI/Ignition works well with PagerDuty, but only if you have a stable internet connection. Where we use it, we have an SLA's T1.

ghettofreeryder hit it on the nose. Most of our customers already have at least a voice line, and usually a fax line we can connect a hardware dialer to, but they either have no Internet service, or at most have dial-up Internet available. I had hoped to find a software solution at least in development somewhere, but no luck so far.