Basic PLC info

mrbarg

AAARRGG Can anyone help me im doing a college course on PLC's and have a few questions that i just can't seem to find answers to despite looking for hours on end,i guess i just dont no where to look.
I need to Explain one protocol used in signal communication and give an application. something to do with field bus, protocols ISO or RS485. what are these can any one direct me to a site where this really basic stuff covered. and lastly any potential health and safety problems when working on PLC's including hazards to personnel and the PLC's and any legislation

Gosh, the topics in your post are so broad ranging that cannot be answered shortly.

I could provide you some links, but ...
I think that you cannot have searched very much.
The topics stated would give you a lot of hits if try to search for them.
Also, your tutor must have given you some starting points.
I think that one of the things a student must learn by himself, is how to find and compile information.
Your post seems to me to sound like "please give me the information on a silver platter - and hurry because I need it tomorrow".

This is no problem but when i put it into google it just spits out people who want to sell me stuff i dont really want you to give me the answer but are there any sites i might look. But i do agree about doing the work myself

Ask your tutor for starting points.
Or, check your printed course material for references.
Or, search for "Field bus", "automation safety" or "automation legislation".
Find a goodlooking link and start digging. The "links" section of many manufacturers will often direct you to standards and commitees.

What did we do when we studied and there was no internet ?
hint: 📚

You are right about most trying to sell stuff

mrbarg said:
This is no problem but when i put it into google it just spits out people who want to sell me stuff i dont really want you to give me the answer but are there any sites i might look. But i do agree about doing the work myself

The internet is there to serve the purpose of those that publish web pages. Some of these comerical sites have useful information in the form of product specification, tech notes and application notes.

There are 175 hits when I did a search on Profibus searching only government web pages. The government is not trying to sell anything. ( I deleted how I really feel )

Also search for .edu or .edu.com sites. Universities have articles done my grad students. Be careful here. Not all the info is good.

Start digging.

Cheers guys those links were ace particularly those from you mr lucas very helpful iv'e now just about finished. Im really new at this been studying it for 4 weeks so i haven't even seen a plc yet or any of the program sims( college just upgraded to XP and none of the programs will work so we are really behind in the work)So when i type stuff into the search engines it can get a bit overwhelming.
Don't anybody go any where im sure ill be back next week.