HSCE trouble

jaimeng6

Hello Techs!
I recently purchased four new HSCE cards and plugged them into
a unit running a working HSCE. I removed the older working one and replaced with new one, set all dips the same and downloaded. Two of the cards worked just fine the other two did not as i looked closer the two that did not were manufactured 01/10, the ones that did work 04/07. I read the manuals and they did not specify any differences i was wondering if anyone knew of any differences before i return these.
thanks
icon7.gif

So, all of the cards are FRN 2.3, both the working and non-working ones?

And can you tell us if there was a Fault LED lit on the faulty ones?

Last edited:
All hell come tumblin down at the plant, sorry couldnt get to you,anyhow i got that rss. file are you suggesting i may need to upgrade my rslogix? i have tried to call ab tech support but they say i dont have an account.

are you suggesting i may need to upgrade my rslogix?

No, I was concerned about the SLC logic that writes to the encoder card to set up its configuration. Your program has that taken care of by the very first two rungs.

Output LED #4 is soft output 0. According to the way your card is programmed, Range 1 will turn on that output.

Range one start value is 21000, and its end value is 0. Your encoder rollover value is 32767. So, I think the output stayed lit because the encoder happened to be in that range when you performed your test. Depending on how fast this encoder moves, you should see that LED go on and off as the encoder count passes through range 1...But only when the encoder is in motion. If it happens to be between 21000 and 32767, then the LED and the soft output will be lit.

I added comments for all of those configuration bits/words to the attached copy of your program.

Last edited:
Thank you OKiePC,
I understand what your saying about the range area.After installing the card I downloaded came online 'wouldn't I have reset my counts back to zero by cycling the encoder enable? the led output never went off after rotating my encoder. If defective will I see a fault bit, wondering... Thanks again, from Birmingham,Al.

If you rotated the encoder far enough to get 32767 counts, then you should have seen the output change states. It is programmed as a ring counter, so it will automatically roll over at 32767.

The reset-to-zero mode is programmed for "soft reset", meaning the PLC program would have to issue the command to zero the counter.

I did not find any soft reset logic in the PLC.

I would suggest you test the cards again, and watch the encoder value at I:2.1 while watching the LEDs. You can look at the comments I added to the N9 file in conjunction with the HSCE manual to understand what is going on with the card.

There is a fault indicator on the module itself. The first word in the input image (I:2.0) for the slot is the status word. The LSB (bits 0-7) of the fifth word in the input image (I:2.4) is a config. status word. It should be all zeros. I forgot to add comments to the input image table, so look at the manual for more details.

Maybe you did get two bad cards, but I seriously doubt it. Those suckers are at least as reliable as CPUs in my experience.

Last edited: