Siemens S5 115U CPU 942

Avex

Hi all, I'm a total newbie on Siemens so any help is appreciated.

I managed to get hold of a laptop with S5 software installed, and also a cable used to connect to a S5 95U PLC. I managed to connect to the 95U PLC with no trouble. I'm guessing that the cable is a "current loop/rs232 converter" cable.

I took the same laptop and cable and try to connect to a S5 115U CPU 492 PLC. Whenever I try to go online to the PLC, I get the error message "Underfined character from the AS". Does anyone know what that means?

I've connected the cable to a port (not sure the name) where a handheld programmer PG605u used to be connected. I'm not sure if the cable I'm using and the cable on the PG605u uses the same interface protocol.

In S5 programming software , the "Interface" is set to AS511, and it seems to be the only protocol available and can not be changed.

Can anyone give me some hints as to how to connect to the 115U and upload the program please?

Many thanks in advance!

(Photo of the 115u PLC attached)

17052010.jpg

ive gotten "Underfined character from the AS" many times but im not sure what i do then.
Try turning the S5 off (check the backup battery first) and restart the computer and see if that works.
You should always use port S1 on the cpu.