Series 90-30 ethernet

Hi,

Trying to resolve a problem on a project.

I have a GE Series 90-30 PLC with about 200 points that was installed by a contractor in 1998. Due to hardware failures with the HMI computer, the whole HMI is being upgraded. A new computer is being put in and we're moving from FIX to iFIX... this was decided and a budget made before I came onto the project.

The problem is that the communications between the PLC and the HMI computer was overlooked. Currently, there is a CMM321 module in the PLC that has an AAUI port (and only an AAUI port) for ethernet. There is a 10base2 AAUI transceiver connected to the PLC and a coax cable runs to the old HMI computer. Obviously, we'd prefer an RJ45 twisted pair for the new connection.

Options I've looked at:

1. 10baseT AAUI transceiver. They aren't manufactured anymore and I don't want to buy second-hand hardware.

2. 10base2 PCI cards. Hard to find and still leaves the 10base2 AAUI trans in the connection, which is another point of failure.

3. Upgrading the CPU311 to a CPU372 (which requires a PS upgrade as well). I was told this requires a firmware upgrade and possibly software upgrade - possibly re-writing our ladder logic(?)and recommissioning the whole system. Can't do this because I don't have the time, money or in-house expertise because of the system the PLC controls.

4. Upgrading the CMM321 module to a new revision CMM321 module. The most likely candidate so far. I was told by a sales rep that it would be a simple plug-n-go but what about the 12+ year old firmware on the PLC? Would I have to upgrade the software and re-code the ladder logic? How much trouble would this be.

Are there anymore options for ethernet connectivity that I haven't touched on? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. (Excuse my lack of knowledge if I've asked a stupid question - my PLC experience has been limited to some Quantum PLCs and MODSOFT software).

Thanks,
Jon

I bought some 10BaseT AAUI about 3 years ago for some 321's attached to 311's. I believe they were from welovemacs.com, and I believe they were right around 50 USD a piece. I have had good luck and all 4 machines are still running today.

EDIT: And FYI these are talking to Wonderware so they are constantly pinging away.

The CPU311 is where the CPU is physically located in the 5-slot backplane. We have seen more failures in these models then in any other 90-30 product. If it were me I would purchase a new 5-slot rack and install a later model processor. You don't have to go all the way to a CPU372, that is overkill if your process is running with a 311. I'd suggest a CPU350 and a late-model ethernet CMM. I'd also install a new power supply while I was going to the trouble.

Four or Five parts:
1. IC693CHS397 Base 5-Slot
2. IC693PWR321 Standard Power supply
3. IC693CPU350 CPU
4. IC693CMM321 Ethernet CMM
5. Proficy ME software (optional)

The hardware I have chosen works with Logicmaster 90 software. If desired, your existing program can easily be imported into the Proficy software. However this is simply a hardware conversion, the software is not required.

This is just my opinion of what to do. Your company is spending a lot of money on the HMI and it deserves an appropriate PLC solution. You would be well served to consult a local integrator.

Last edited: