S7 communication via radio modems

Homer_BL

Hello!
Is there anyone here who managed to connect two S7 PLCs via radio modems?
Please do not answer only in theory.
If so, please tell me which cables are used (suppose PPI/232, which DIP settings?), which modems are used, which protocol is used.
Also, attaching code of both PLC will be appreciated (only communication blocks).

Thanks and best regards.

Hi there,

I know of a company called ELPRO Technologies Pty Ltd that do wireless Profibus. I have not worked with them, so I cannot say much about them.

Best regards

Patrick Lansdorf

Meditronik d.o.o. Bosnia Hercegovina

Bosnian industrial automation company Meditronik has done that many times with S7 200. Let them do the job.

Like in 'Highlander'... 'There can be only ONE'?
Sorry, guys, but job is done... Without Meditronik.

i did it with Motorola ethernet modem supplied by my customer.

I was using s7-200 with 243it module (More expensive than a serial link i bet...)

1 was the receiver just beside a Scada system and all others where emeter because of the modem configuration. There was just 1 connection to the receiver in both direction

The radio connection was transparent to the PLC but just a bit slow because i believe the radio modem itself was working at serial speed...
I was using block like if i was in 1 local network
ETH0_XFR and internet wizard config.
You reserve some adress area to send and other to receive date from other plc...You configure these data in the internet wizard and youre almost done

The big part of the job isn't inside the plc but the modems and it was the part i didn't worked on...(Maybe the known part is the easiest....)

i would suggest to make it work first with a local network...then verrify if both ip can can be seen across network and then try to use modems to isolate where the initial problem is...

if you are using serial comm. it will be similar but with other links

I think you should use the PPI 485 with a standard cable without converter (The one with dip switch convert 485 to 232 for your laptop and you would need one on each plc....

Last edited: