Is is remotely possible to connect a plc???

mer

I was wondering in you could gain access of a plc that is connected by dial-up modem on one end and me through the internet on the other ..is their a program available to dial that modem VIA/enternet insted of modem to modem connection thanks in advance ......

The short answer is "Yes, but..." It is possible depending on the rest of your system. Generically, it's impossible to answer your question without knowing your system.

What kind of PLC?
What kind of ethernet infrastructure do you have in place to that PLC?

SKIP the Dial-Up Modem

Dial up MODEMS are 1980 technology. They require POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service). POTS amounts to a pair of analog copper wires. Red Green TIP RING.

A. Most people don't even have the availabilty or the money to just Have have a POTS line sitting there at $100.00 per month (just in case)

B. Analog modems are too slow for real-time PLC diagnostics.

You need to be looking at VPN via Internet. The Plant IT guy can open up a secure portal for you to access the intendend machine via thier corporate intranet, allowing you only a pipline to your intended target, and exclude access to corporate sensitive areas.

I have to agree with Plastic, VPN is the only way to go. Just yesterday we had a problem with a motion controller, set up a VPN connection on my laptop, connected to the controller and the OEM was connected to the controller, all in a space of a half hour

Edit: and you can see what the OEM is doing, that way you can learn more abouth the equipment

Last edited:
Last edited:
I have to agree with Plastic, VPN is the only way to go. Just yesterday we had a problem with a motion controller, set up a VPN connection on my laptop, connected to the controller and the OEM was connected to the controller, all in a space of a half hour

I agree so and so...
sometimes - also on older systems - you need a serial line.

once we have been checking out this but in the end we did not use it....

Maybe helps.

http://www.moxa.com/product/nport_5110.htm

br
bb

Last edited: