profinet

kraj

hello to all,

what is exactly is a profinet is,
is it as a simple as a profibus on ethernet?

or it has different protocols rather than a profibus?

thanks and regards

raj

Hello raj;
Here is how profibus.com introduces Profinet:

PROFINET is an Ethernet-based networking solution for automation. It is similar to PROFIBUS in that it enables distributed IO control from a PLC. It also utilizes similar or near identical engineering, operations and maintenance techniques and it can support similar applications-specific profiles such as Functional Safety and Motion Control. A new project for Active Energy Management aimed at using PROFINET to help reduce industrial power consumption has recently been launched.
PROFINET has a much broader reach than PROFIBUS and can enable better networking plant-wide. It integrates readily with IT infrastructures and with the Internet. It embraces PROFIBUS and competing fieldbuses so that existing investments in skills and equipment can be retained during any migration to an Ethernet-based future.

Further and more precise information can be found on www.profibus.com, selecting Profinet and opening the Downloads tab. You will find many documents on Profinet I/O (closest to Profibus-DP), Profinet CBA (application oriented communications using Profinet), hardware selection for Profinet (controllers, I/O units, switches, cabling...)and more.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

THANKS A LOT dchartier

Thanks a lot v
but can profibus opc server support it

hello raj;
here is how profibus.com introduces profinet:

profinet is an ethernet-based networking solution for automation. It is similar to profibus in that it enables distributed io control from a plc. It also utilizes similar or near identical engineering, operations and maintenance techniques and it can support similar applications-specific profiles such as functional safety and motion control. A new project for active energy management aimed at using profinet to help reduce industrial power consumption has recently been launched.
profinet has a much broader reach than profibus and can enable better networking plant-wide. It integrates readily with it infrastructures and with the internet. It embraces profibus and competing fieldbuses so that existing investments in skills and equipment can be retained during any migration to an ethernet-based future.

further and more precise information can be found on www.profibus.com, selecting profinet and opening the downloads tab. You will find many documents on profinet i/o (closest to profibus-dp), profinet cba (application oriented communications using profinet), hardware selection for profinet (controllers, i/o units, switches, cabling...)and more.
Hope this helps,
daniel chartier

Hello kraj;
A Profibus OPC server/client will not work on a Profinet interface, the hardware is totally different (RS-485 and Ethernet) and the DCOM settings attach to a specific interface.
You will need a dedicated OPC interface to Profinet.
Here you can have a look at Siemens' Simatic Net OPC for Profinet:
http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/view/en/13678424

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier