Proficy Machine Edition Programming Question

Adam83

Hi all,

I've started working on a project with GE 90-30 processors and am using the Proficy Machine Edition to program them. Im very very new to PME (spent most my time with Logix5/500/5000) and need some basic help, and guidence. So im sure i will be coming back to this thread in the future and adding on questions as i encounter them.

First question on the list is quite a simple question/concept but im not sure whether PME has the functionality (first impressions to me is that its seems very basic). In essence im trying to replicate the same functionality that Logix5000 has with its Add On instructions.

What ive done so far.
I have created a basic project, under the Program Blocks have created two folders that contain my LD Blocks. First Folder is called Standards, the other is Called Task.

In the Standards Folder i have created a LD Block called (DOL1) that does a very basic control of an output (Latch it with one input, unlatch it with another).
In the Task folder i have created a LD Block Called Pump1, which in essence calls the DOL1 LD Block. So basically the first couple rungs i am doing some simple mapping Pump1.StartCmd mapped to DOL1.StartCmd etc. Then i call the DOL2 LD Block and finally map DOL1.Output to Pump1.Output. (hope thats clear).

in my mind this seems logical, but when i try to validate i get Error 8249 and Error 8248: Invalid scope for output/input operand.

Has anyone encountered this before with PME?? All im trying to do is create a Drive Block which i can reuse the logic.

anyone have any ideas? :confused:

Any help/comments are appriciated.

Thanks

Adam.

The problem is with the . in the names. Change to an underscore or letter or number and you will be fine.

The 90-30 platform has its limits. You will have to address all of your variables, somewhat like Logix500.

Search this forum for posts by Steve Bailey and RussB, and look for GE related posts. A lot of your questions may be here already.

A couple of suggestions for new, experienced users.
1. DO NOT assume that Proficy ME works like RSxxxx. Most of it does not.
2. Leave the "Companion" window open and visible for a while as you get started, use it to verify that things will work as expected.
3. Get used to selecting an object and pressing F1 to get detailed help.
4. Validate often the first few hours of programming.
HTH

A couple of suggestions for new, experienced users.
1. DO NOT assume that Proficy ME works like RSxxxx. Most of it does not.
2. Leave the "Companion" window open and visible for a while as you get started, use it to verify that things will work as expected.
3. Get used to selecting an object and pressing F1 to get detailed help.
4. Validate often the first few hours of programming.
HTH

Thanks for the advice.
Have you done something similar to what im trying to do at the moment Russ? If so, am i going about it in the right way or is there a simpler way?

The problem is with the . in the names. Change to an underscore or letter or number and you will be fine.

The 90-30 platform has its limits. You will have to address all of your variables, somewhat like Logix500.

Search this forum for posts by Steve Bailey and RussB, and look for GE related posts. A lot of your questions may be here already.

I have done this and it has cleared all my errors.. Thanks for the advice. The only warnings im getting now is having a coil in the same column, which shouldnt be a problem.

Can anyone clarify whether PME scans the logic in a routine left to right, or up and down. Im thinking up and down since it gave me a warning for having multiple coils in the same column.

Can anyone clarify whether PME scans the logic in a routine left to right, or up and down. Im thinking up and down since it gave me a warning for having multiple coils in the same column.
It depends on the Processor: (Which 90-30 CPU do you have?)
90-30 & PAC are Left-to-right then Top-to-bottom, for each rung.
90-70 Top-to-bottom then Left-to-right, for each rung.

Just a suggestion, but make sure your PME is up to date with the latest SIMs and/or Service Packs for whatever version you have.

The link below will take you to the GE support site. On the right side of the page, SIMs and Service Packs are listed under Downloads. Once you are at the page for either, you can narrow down by your version.

You may have to register for a SSO (Single Sign On) if you don't already have one.

http://support.ge-ip.com/support/index?page=home&view=AUTOMATION