GE Fanuc Series 90-30

gearmachinist

We have a FMB mini Turbo barfeeder that has a GE Fanuc Series 90-30 PLC on the controls. We developed an issue with the PLC with it switching off and on. We could turn the barfeed on and the feeder would work fine and then suddenly it would switch off and then a few seconds later would try to switch back on. When it switched off, the output cards would go blank. The input cards stayed on. We had a spare power supply so I swapped the power supply to see if we had a power issue causing the problem. However, now the PLC with not go back into run mode. The PLC comes on and the input side is on but nothing on the output. It appears the PLC need to be restarted but I do not have a programmer. Is there anyway to start the PLC without a programmer? Also, would a bad power supply have caused the problems we encountered?
Any help you can supply would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Gary Jennings

Russ posted a utility in post #3 of this thread that may help.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=55833

There are some CPU models that have a keyswitch that may be configured as a Run/Stop switch, but since you didn't mention it, yours probably isn't one of them.

In addition to letting you restart the program, the programming software would let you look at the fault tables to see if they have anything to tell you about what caused the problem.

The power supply could be the source of your problem. If the backplane voltage drops below a threshold level, the PLC will shut down. I've seen cases where that happens, generally with an old power supply in a hot enclosure. The power supply was sufficient to handle the modules when it was new, but over time has degraded to the point where it can't handle the load of the installed modules.

Does the machine use the 24 VDC terminals on the power supply? If that's used to power field devices and one of them shorts out, it can drag down the entire power supply.