String AB variables in FactoryTalk

Romanr9999

I´m here again with my dumb questions.

I´m using FactoryTalk View Studio 5.10 with an AB Micrologix 1400.

I need the user to update string tags defined in the PLC through a PanelView Plus 15000.

I tried using a String Input Enable object but it gives me a runtime error saying "The type of the value being written is incompatible with the tag´s type¨.

I can´t find a workaround. I know there must be one, since this is something basic.

The tag points to a string in the ML1400 (ST9:1.DATA).
I don´t find another way to define string variables in the PLC or another way to edit them in FT.

Thanks for your help.

I knew this was a dumb question although I never imagined it could be SO STUPID

It's neither dumb nor stupid. With some HMI's connecting to AB units you do have to use that type of addressing as they don't know what to do with the LEN part.

Besides yourself your question probably helped many others who are learning this sytem and to those in the future who ACTUALLY use the 'search' function.