InSQL Logging Snapshot Question

BillyB

Hi,
Just looking for some info on the viabillity of this approach:
We currently have a Wonderware/S7 system that generates reports at the end of a cycle. It currently stores the logged data to access which we are getting rid of:

This occurs in the following way.
  • The user selects a batch id from a dropdown combo box
  • The user presses “Print Report”
  • Several Quick Scripts execute, all whose purpose it is to build up several tags which are used in the report
  • These tags are all prefixed with the word “Print” i.e. PrintBatchID, PrintDate
  • Depending on the Report Type selected, a particular report screen will be opened with the above tags present and a command to print the screens will be issued.
  • The screen is printed to the printer with the values as built by the Quick Scripts
I would like to log the above “Print” tags but only at the point that a Report is generated. I believe the “Snapshot functionality” within INSQL can achieve this. When all the tags are built up as per the above method, we would also trigger an event that would take a snapshot of all the values listed in our snapshot configuration.This would log the values ONLY at the time we are interested in to the database(proposed new InSQL system). There are roughly 1400 “print” tags in our application that would require a snapshot. This would enable us to validate our existing reports from an export from InSQL.
The 1400 tags could be segmented out into different types(if this helps loading etc).

Are there any problems with this approach? Just wondering if the snapshot tag sount would be too large(too many tags). Tags are mainly memory integers within Wonderware.

An alternative is to log the “Print tags” on delta change.