DeviceNet 1769-SDN-B talking to robots

rigicon

Hi, I am trying to get my New DeviceNet 1769-SDN-B scanner talking to robots.
I have got the EDS file for the ABB robots into RsNetworx as Woodhead SST-DN3 Scanner the first robot is node 11 and the second is node 12. The 1769 is node 2.
The baud is 500kbs on all. The robots keep telling me that there is something wrong with the supply or cabling. I checked with a meter there is no power on the bus from the scanner which should be master.
The scanner from power on shows 2 then 92 and stays displaying 92 the module green light is on and the network light remains off.

I have tried everything in rs networx !!! obviously not everything but what else ??? o_O

Just to mention it was in slot 1 but I moved it to slot 7 at the end of the PLC I have told it the new slot. Besides it did't work in slot 1 anyway.

JSP3.jpg

Last edited:
The robots keep telling me that there is something wrong with the supply or cabling. I checked with a meter there is no power on the bus from the scanner which should be master.

There you have it. Your devicenet network needs 24vdc at all nodes, and it should be completely separate from any other power supplies.

Fault: Cause
92 No DeviceNet Power No network power detected on DeviceNet port.

The 2 on the status display indicates the node number with the error.

See
Publication 1769-UM009E-EN-P

DNET_Cable.jpg

Last edited:
OkiePC thanks are we saying that I need to apply external 24vdc to the 1769-SDN at 24v and 0 like your drawing. If so I am going to get you a beer. Four hours of rsnetworx and rslogix It can't be that simple.
just found the book yup code 92 no power.
I am a silly billy.

Last edited:
Follow the book for the wiring of the power supply. You want a reliable network, so don't take shortcuts. Keep the power clean and separate from everything else, use the right cable for your trunk length, etc.

Thanks All up and running now. I can see the 2 robots. I see there is 8 bytes input and 8 bytes output now How to map the I/O? plus I still have 2 and 80 flashing now the book says set the scanner to run or output data word 0 bit 0 = 1 ? where is this?

Good read The Plc Kid thank you, but it still don't help me get this thing running and the io mapped. Is there an easy way I can add one input and output from the robot and fire it with the plc or monitor it.

You set up the scanlist of the 1769-SDN using the scanlist applet; double-click on the scanner icon in the graphical view in RSNetworx for DeviceNet to launch that.

When you add the robot adapters to the scanlist, the connection will be configured for the default data sizes (read by RSNetworx from the EDS file).

If these need to be changed, select each robot adapter in the scanlist and edit its I/O connection (there's a button for that on the scanlist add/remove page).

Mapping the I/O is done in the Input and Output tabs of the scanner configuration applet. Usually you'll just click "Automap" and note the offsets and sizes for each device.

This is all DeviceNet 101: there is a nice slideshow tutorial that gets installed with RSNetworx and is in the program directory.

To put the scanner in Run mode, find the Output tags. If it's a MicroLogix 1500 controller, the Run bit is word 0, bit 0, like "O:7.0/0". If it's a CompactLogix controller, there will be a "Local:7:O.Command.Run" tag (syntax may not be exact). I usually use an unconditional rung with an output coil instruction ---( )--- to set the Run bit.

You need to add the robots to the scan list using RSNetworx. Just add all 8 bytes each way. IIRC, double click the scanner module and look at the scanlist features on its dialog tabs. There is an automap button I believe, that will set this up for you.

After that is set up and saved to the scanner, in PLC ladder logic you need to fire an output to enable run mode on the scanner. This is normally bit 0 of the first word (I haven't used the 1769-SDN, so check the book).

You can't edit the scan list while the scanner is in run mode (after you get your RUN rung in and PLC in RUN mode). Most of the time, I use an internal bit to condition the scanner run mode output. Then I can toggle that bit off if I need to change the scanlist. Putting the PLC in program mode will also turn off the OTE instruction so you can program the scanner.

EDIT: YEah, Ken's here...he's the pro on this stuff...

You need to configure the mapping of the I/O in the scanner. In RSNetworx, open the Properties of the 1769-SDN. Add the two robots to the scanlist. After doing that you will be able to map specific bytes in the Input and Output tabs. You will probably want to use Discrete mapping, where the I/O is transferred directly to/from the Input and Output data tables in your PLC. My experience is with the 1747-SDN but I would expect that the 1769 is similar.

EDIT: I guess I get the bronze medal for typing speed...

Last edited:
Yup Thanks Ken Roach I found the run it is running now. Looks like it is all mapped but I am not getting IO on the robot I'll play some more. Nice in the controllogix cause its slot 7 all the I/O is there - maybe I haven't mapped properly in the ABB robot. Thanks all will keep updating.

:beer:Thanks everyone, That wasn't as hard as I expected, I now know why I chose Rockwell good kit easy to configure and lots of helpers. Cheers all off to the pub now. 🍺

Yip I had the same problem when I was setting up my first DeviceNet network. i forgot about the extra 24vdc power supply that I needed, As soon as i sorted that out, it all worked. :)