CompactLogix with Devicenet 1769-SDN

Christoph

All
Found myself in a situation where I need to flash the 1769_sdn Devicenet module from 2.002 to 4.004. I uploaded from the module but it has been a few years and did not upload from each device on the network. So when I down loaded after flashing, the modules showed up on the network but no config data in the modules. So My supervisor had Spread sheets with all the setup data and we plugged it in by hand. Everything went fine except 2 encoder modules in a
remote point I/O rack. It would only let us set bit length to 48 when we had
92 Before and it only had COS as a message selection and we needed it set to polled. Anyone got some help for me here? Much appreciated! We had to bail and go back to the 2.002 ver.

DeviceNet with POINT I/O is pretty complicated because of how configurable and flexible all the involved things are, so I sympathize about the challenges of picking it up after not touching it for a few years.

Are you using a 1734-PDN, that basically passes through the DeviceNet and makes all the POINT modules into nodes on the network directly ?

Or are you using a 1734-ADN or -ADNX, which acts as a "sub scanner" with a scanlist that applies to its own POINTbus, then presents all that data in an Assembly to the higher-level 1769-SDN or other PLC-hosted Scanner ?

Which "encoder" module are you using ? My quick review of the 1734-IJ/IK and the 1734-VHSC shows much smaller I/O connections than the 48 or 92 bytes you are describing.

Maybe you're describing the overall size of the Assembly that the 1734-ADN presents to the 1769-SDN.

Any details you can post (including a link to the *.DNT file if you can provide it) would help.

Hi.
When you update the SDN to 4.004 all you should have to do is open up the DNT in NetWorx and download it back into the SDN. It will give you some errors about the SDN being a different version but you are able to right click the SDN on the map and there will be an option to fix the problem. I've done this many times and have never lost config data. Can you post screenshots of the method you're using?

Hi.
When you update the SDN to 4.004 all you should have to do is open up the DNT in NetWorx and download it back into the SDN. It will give you some errors about the SDN being a different version but you are able to right click the SDN on the map and there will be an option to fix the problem. I've done this many times and have never lost config data. Can you post screenshots of the method you're using?

It sounds as though the OP uploaded the scanlist but not the entire network and so he didn't have the config data of the individual devices.

correct beethoven That is why we were entering by hand the module config data
and discovered unable to choose polled for the encoder modules and bit length was limited. Ken the SDN starts the network and then a T drop to each Point I/O rack.
No other module between SDN and the Point I/O.

There is always some kind of module between a POINT I/O module and the DeviceNet network. The two most common ones are 1734-PDN and 1734-ADN. They are the leftmost module into which the DeviceNet cable plugs.

What is the part number of the "encoder" module ?

You almost certainly do not have to use the SCIA editor or complex messaging to get your system back into operation, but if you want help here you will have to provide some details.

Thanks for those details !

The 1734-PDN and 1734-ADN function very differently.

The POINTBus backplane is essentially DeviceNet with a higher 1 MB data rate, and a left-to-right position detection mechanism. That's why you can easily "drill down" to the modules with RSLinx.

The 1734-PDN is basically just a buffer between the DeviceNet and the POINTbus. When you're using a 1734-PDN, all the POINT modules show up individually in the RSNetworx project, just like they were individually wired to the network. You create a Scanlist entry and a data map for each one in the 1769-SDN.

The 1734-ADN acts like a DeviceNet Scanner on the POINTBus side, but collects up all of that data and presents it as one connection to the 1769-SDN. When you use the 1734-ADN in your project, you always have at least two *.DNT files: one to configure each -ADN, and the other to configure the higher-level Scanner and any other devices on the network.

I am confident the 1734-IK only has a 6/1 input/output data size, so the larger data sizes must be because you're using a 1734-ADN.

The problem is likely that the "sub-scanner" configuration of the 1734-ADN isn't correct, or the linked *.DNT file for that configuration isn't the correct file.

If you can zip and post the file(s), that would probably help.

OK made a backup of the working 2.2 SDN network and uploaded all nodes.
Installed a pre-flashed 1769 SDN and downloaded the configurations. All
went well except for the 2 Encoder cards. Went to the scan list and highlighted
the first module. Then selected edit I/O. Then I was able to select between polled and COS. Selected polled entered my data length for both modules and boom! all was well Mystery solved up and running on 4.004.

Hello.

I have the 1734-VHSC module connected to 1734-ADN point I/O Adapter and this adapter is connected to a 1769-SDN. In teh 1734-VHSC24 module i have connected an incremental encoder RVI50N-09BK0A3TN-01024 from pepper fuchs, but i'm not receiving any activity in the A ou B inputs on the module. I have already connected the encoder on a 1734-IB8 and there i can see taht teh encoder is sending the pulses, the leds light on and off. It's ackward that the leds in the 1734-VHSC24 module for module satatus and network status is flashing green in a low frequency. Can you help me to understand watt i'm doing wrong.