Factorytalk ME Station - Excel / PDF viewing

Wedee98

We are running Factorytalk ME Station (Ver 5.10)on touchscreen XP based computers. The customer would like to be able to view PDF and Excel files on these computers as well. Currently all the screens cover the entire desktop and provide no access (Short of exiting Me station) to launch or flip to excel or PDF viewer.

My preference would be to have a button that would "Shell" out to excel or Adobe PDF reader directly.

Does anyone know how I could launch another program from inside the ME station application?

I know my other couple of options would be to limit my screen height so that the windows task bar is viewable (A lot of applications to rework), or use activeX to view them in their own screen.

Thanks.....

This may sound odd, and I'm not sure of the functionality of this, but could they always have it open and then ALT+TAB to it, or just hit the Windows Key and then choose the app they are trying to view? This way once they close it they can go back to the screen...

Thanks for the reply...

Yes that would work.... However there are no keyboards attached, and there are no physical keys on the bezel. So there is no way to activate the windows key or alt-tab.

This Rockwell knowledge base article should have what you need.

20474 - Program Launcher ActiveX Control for FactoryTalk View (RSView) ME Station.

Hello,

I am currently experiencing the same problem but am having troubles finding this Rockwell knowledge base article. Where can it be found?

Thank you.

It has been brought to the attention of the moderators that the previous (deleted) post was from a Rockwell Knowledge Base article for which a Tech Connect contract was required. If that turns out to be incorrect the post can be restored.
However, posting KB articles can get the site into trouble with Rockwell. I don't have a Tech Connect contract so I have no way of confirming if the alert I received was accurate or not. I deleted the post in an abundance of caution.