Cisco X Hirschmann

Farnesi

We have a Hirschmann ring network at my plant but I wonder if Cisco is better or not. I'm planning to redesign my network and maybe going Cisco industrial switch is a good call, what you guys think?

The ring network is connected thru 5 Hirschmann RS30 switchs and connects other Hirschmann switchs w/ 22x PLC's, 2x FactoryTalk Servers, 20x FactoryTalk Client Computers, 2x Engineering/Maintance Stations, OSIsoft PI interface (RSLinx and KepServer) and some IHM's too.

There are parts of the site which runs FIX/FIX32 and I'm planning to change to FactoryTalk and to do so I'd increase the ring network installing 2 other Hirschmann RS30 to connect two new FactoryTalk servers and 10 PLC's. Something I feel like doing is putting wireless routers somewhere and installing FactoryTalk on a Tablet PC to make it like an wireless IHM I wonder if that works.

I don't really see a need to change. Both are solid in my experience. If you need to add to the network, I would go with whatever is already installed so you can manage them from one software package.

No using a Tablet pc is fine but you will have to have a studio license or a runtime license on your laptop or tablet pc.

If you just use vnc to remote into one of the existing computers running view se then you don't need a runtime. VNC is free.

Depends on how many operator pc's that you have and how active they are.