Leaky feeder systems

PdP

Could anyone with some experience in the above system please give me a rough background of this, e.g.

• Cabling, if any.
  • Hardware employed, talking interfacing to a PLC or PC based application.
  • Same for software as above.
  • Protocols typical to an leaky feeder system.
  • General engineering description of the operation of an leaky feeder system.
  • Dis- & advantage of the above, with relevance to industry, operation and stability.
  • Integration with higher levels of control systems.
Thanks.

What are you talking about ????

The term feeder is pretty vague with lots of applications including
getting cattle feed to cattle
Screw augers, conveyers
Electrical distribution
Person who does feeding
list goes on with others I have not even thought of.

In other words why dont you tell us what you are talking about. Describe overall process, what part of a machine you are interested in, what it does, nameplate info.

It really is amazing the help you can get on this site if you give them enough info.

Last edited:
A leaky feeder system is employed in the mines as a communication tool and control media for remote positioned pumps, fans etc. Anybody has experience on a system like this?

Are you trying to do asset and people tracking or actually run the process on it? I have customers who have done both. Generally in mining it's used for former and a little bit of programming or even video.

Google does better than ?????. Seriously, anybody.

Seriously, pardner, jist how much free help does you expect? The questions you is askin' reflect at least a one smester collidge course or 'bout 40 hours service from a purty high priced consultant.

The term feeder is pretty vague with

In other words why dont you tell us what you are talking about. Describe overall process, what part of a machine you are interested in, what it does, nameplate info.

It really is amazing the help you can get on this site if you give them enough info.

Reposted to see if
1. These are really simple instructions
2. If poster can follow them.

Let me check something.
Are you a 12 year old kid?
If so we can understand you are trying to learn and can give more latitude.

Dan Bentler

Seriously PDP, you are asking these gentlemen to help you out. The least you could do is show them a little respect. We all don't work in the Mining industry, and know what a Leaky Feeder is. If Google can do better, you are welcome to stick to Google.

Stu....

I have worked on the mines before, although a good few years ago and have never heard of a leaky feeder.

PDP, the more info you give, the better quality answer you will get, not all of us have the time to sit on google looking for information that you could have supplied in the first place

And if you are a student, tell us, the gents on here will be a lot more gentle towards you, what you asked there definately looks like a college question

Last edited:
I worked at a mine in Ontario where we installed a Leaky Feeder radio system. It uses a coaxial cable with a very open weave on the shield hence the signal leaks out. The cable is run along the main shafts. As you know radio doesn't transmit through rock.
The system i worked on had a signal booster every 100 yards or so all powered by the DC voltage applied to the coax. The system is very robust in that a booster can fail and it still works. Each of the boosters injects a status signal onto the feeder which is picked up by the base station. From memory the base station had a Modbus link.

Thanks for your comments. Roy, how does the system "recognize" different machinery or equipment to be controlled and/or monitored on this. Is there a specific address assigned to this and configured or is this based on frequency?

Thanks.