Marquee Board (Display boards)

Jay69

Hi,
I am not sure which brand is the best marquee board to integrate with controllogix where I can send it fault number other the ethernet and display the fault messages on it. Any suggestion will be appreciated.
Thanks

I use one of these:
http://www.rtaautomation.com/products/435/nba.html
and a serial display board like this:
http://store.avg.net/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=EZMT-2L20C

You may not be interested in tri-color displays, but we use them here for fault/downtime display in RED, and run conditions/speeds, etc in GREEN, sometimes going to YELLOW if the line isn't running at it's capabilities.

The gateway device is nice, as it just sits on Ethernet, and talks Ethernet/IP directly to a Control/Compactlogix processor. You configure the gateway through its own webpage to poll a tag in the Logix processor. Once configured, it just polls the tag, and sends the data out its serial port, so there is no weird messaging in the PLC. The gateway is bidirectional as well, and can also take data from serial devices, and stuff it into a Logix tag.

I have two sets of marquees where I work.

The first is a set of 3 serial marquees from EZAutomation.net.
They communicate via RS422 directly from a ControlLogix PLC using an RS232/422 converter. The PLC sends messages to the marquees not numbers although the messages can contain numbers. Each marquee displays different messages than the others. The messages are stored in the PLC so they are easy to edit. The PLC program also keeps a history of errors that I can read with an an application running on my computer. I could strip down the program and send it to you if you'd like (RSLogix 5000 Version 13).

The other setup I have is 2 ethernet marquees also from EZAutomation.net. This is a complex setup using a computer to read several PLC's, look up messages, send messages to the 2 ethernet marquees (expandable) and 2 computers running a desktop program that acts like a mini marquee (also expandable). The messages are stored in databases so they are easy to edit. See the 'OPC and Delphi EZMarquee.zip' files at http://www.plcs.net/downloads/index.php?&direction=0&order=&directory=HMI_Files for a stripped down example.

Messages stored in the actual display and triggered by sending a number can be a pain to edit depending on the make/model.

I also have a Vorne message display (mini marquee that fits in a console) that I send message numbers to and I'm trying to get a different model that I would send text to.

There are lots of other marquees out there but I have no experience with them.

Steve.