PLC Options in deciding Controller

Mark Buskell

I have a old program that I am coverting. The old program uses a personal computer, a serial scale (Meddler-Toledo) and a Opto controller for controlling the 14 digital outputs that dispense chemicals. It dispenses chemicals from starting at 15 or so grams. I wrote the original program to control everything in Borland C.

Now I am rewriting the program in Visual Basic. I am considering using an Allen-Bradley Micrologix 1000 using DH+ but then I have to add a PKTX module or set up another serial interface. The scale is no problem or the Basic program. The question I am asking is the 1000 the best way to go. I have heard of a Burr-Brown card that fits in the computer to control 14 outputs but I need advice on that way. I am also considering one of those mini-plcs but I imagine that would require a second Com port installed. The controller will do nothing except turn on and off the outputs. Any advice would be appreciated.

Speed is critical to able to dose chemicals in small amounts so scan time is critical.

We also connect to a network database that contains 1000's of formulas and that is the reason for the personal computer and the VB app.

I think you should consider the price of those options.
Personaly I think Digital I/O is more proper to your task.
Dont save money on cheap I/O card.you can also try modular ethernet unit.
Please inform me what you find out.