Remote Ethernet I/O

kenjohn

Anyone use or know of Remote Ethernet IO that is compatible with Labview.

Like the Advantech "Adam" modules or the Korenix JetI/O?

I haven't had a chance to see if those are compatible and if they are if anyone had used them.

Labview does sell their own I/O any reason for not using it?

You may get better support as it is all designed to work together.

Only one sourceto blame if things are not right.

Here is a link about NI and Ethercat. http://search.ni.com/nisearch/app/m.../sn/catnav:du,ssnav:sup/q/ethercat/ses/false/

Ethercat is an ultra efficient Ethernet based bus. Check this products link (Beckhoff, Wago +++): http://www.ethercat.org/en/products.html

Quote from www.ethercat.org: "The update time for 1000 distributed I/Os is only 30 µs. Up to 1486 bytes of process data can be exchanged with a single Ethernet frame - this is equivalent to almost 12000 digital inputs and outputs. The transfer of this data quantity only takes 300 µs."
icon6.gif

Kalle

I have heard Labview supports OPC. With a suitable OPC server, not sure what you can NOT connect to. For direct support, I think it supports Modbus. There are LOTS of devices that support Modbus.

Never used ethercat is it superior to ethernet IP in terms of speed and functions.

The above posts suggest it would be faster. But can you do safety and motion like EIP does?

To add to KalleOlsen's post, for those who didn't read his links,

NI uses EtherCAT for remote I/O in their CompactRIO system. Thus, one should be able to include any Beckhoff modules or any sensors with an EtherCAT interface. In some cases, you may need to supply the master with a config file for the device, but in many cases that is built-in to the device so it is recognized automatically.