Logix 5000 alarm timers

chadhoot78

I have several alarms from process that keep coming in. they really need to be on a timer for a few seconds to compensate for flow changes. Is there a way to add all of these alarms to one timer so i don't have to create several timers?

Why not use separate timers?

Can you use a single timer? I guess you really need to tell us more about your process. What are the alarms? How are they supposed to work? Perhaps the most difficult part of any automation process is to define what you want your system to do -- Once you have properly defined your system, the coding is the easy part.

But, a timer operates all of the time. Even when the "trigger condition" is false, the timer is essentially resetting itself. So, if you could "OR" all of your conditions together, then I suppose you could use a single timer, but, again, why?

Separate timers will make your life much easier down the road. Someday, you'll want to do something special with one of them, then you'll be breaking it out anyway.

Plus they're "free" -- adding more timers doesn't cost anything.

It's a rather simple process. some of the alarms are set to go off whenever a flow is below a setpoint. The problem is that the flow will fluctuate from time to time going below set point for a second or so. It needs to be on a timer so that if it is below the setpoint for so many seconds then the alarm comes in. It would require adding 50-75 additional timers to the project that is already full of them. Just worried about scan times.

If you are not having scan issues already, then you will not have problems.

What processor are you using and what firmware revision is it? The reason I ask is because it may be a good opportunity to learn about add-on instructions.

From your brief description and based on the fact that you are using contrologix you have no need to worry about scan time.

50-75 additional timers on a clogix running a simple process is like putting a milk carton in front of a tank and being worried that it will slow the thank down when it runs over it.

Don't worry just add the timers you need. Use seperate timers otherwise someone will be cussing you down the road.

Make a array of 75 called alarm debounce timers or something like that.

Use the ALMA instruction for the analog flow alarm. (or ALMD for discrete) It has built in timers, thresholds, latches, and acknowledgment. While it is a Factory Talk alarm tool you can use it without.