Slc504 not showing in RSLinx

glenncovington

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all. I have a SLC 504 that when I try to connect to it with RSLinx ver 2.52 with DF1 Driver and a CP3 cable it will not auto configure. When I look in the browse window the processor shows up as a workstation 01 and my laptop as workstation 00.

This processor is also connected to a DH+ network and shows up fine in that environment.

I checked the channel configuration and it is setup for DF1
Full Duplex 19,200 baud.

If I try to go online with RSLogix it tells me that the workstation 01 is not a PLC so it will not connect.

Any ideas. I checked the cable on several other processors and it works fine.

Can you tell us what version of RSLogix and Windows you are using?

I have seen that message when I have done one of two things:

1. I try (mistakenly) to connect using the wrong software. The SLC requires RSLogix 500. RSLogix 5 would see it but not let you go online.
  2. If you have the computer at Node 00 selected instead of the SLC at Node 01 when you try to go online you will also get that message.
OG

The RSLinx is version 2.52 on one laptop and 2.51 on another.
The processor shows up as a second workstation address 01. If I unplug the CP3 cable it disappears out of the list so I know it is talking.

I tried going online with RSLogix500 but it doesn't recognize the workstation as a PLC so it will not try to connect.

If I use a PCMK card and cable to DH+ port it connects fine and I can go online. Also, the processor is working fine. This tells me the problem is not in the backplane.

Since RSLinx is not able to identify the SLC, it makes me think there is a problem with an eds file. What firmware and revision is the SLC?

EDIT: One technote I just found says that autoconfigure can fail if you leave the firmware jumper in the wrong location. It should be in the portect position. This applies to 5/03 and 5/04 processors. It doesn't say that it will prevent RSLinx from seeing it.

Normally, when an eds is missing, you get a yellow question mark.

Last edited:
Open the offline file and check the "Chan 0" tab in Processor Status. Do you have the DF1 Pass-Thru option and is it set to 1? If it is, auto configure will not work, you must configure manually. Make sure you get the correct error checking.

This is the channel configuration. I tried earlier setting it manually to 19,200 baud CRC but it still shows up as a PC workstation not a PLC 5/04.

incinerator.GIF incinerator2.GIF

I didn't mean to repeat something you already did, I just wanted to make sure that you caught the error checking.

Did you have the DF1 pass-thru enabled?

I agree that your symptoms are consistent with having the DF1 Passthrough feature enabled (S:34/5 = 1), in combination with RSLinx being set for the "SLC-CH0/Micro/PanelView" device type.

When you are using DF1 Point-to-point protocol and have set the Device Type to SLC/Micro/PanelView then RSLinx expects to be Node 00 and have the SLC be Node 01. These are the only two node numbers that RSLinx will even think about when the Device Type is set for "SLC-CH0/Micro/PanelView", and RSLinx expects that every packet it sends will be responded to by the local SLC controller.

When DF1 Passthrough is enabled, the SLC-5/04 tries to pass on every command it gets with a DF1 destination address to the corresponding DH+ address.

I'm not sure if your RSLinx is "seeing" itself, or another RSLinx station.

Is there a Node 01 on the DH+ network ? Is it an RSLinx station ?

The simple test for this is to change the Device Type in the RSLinx Classic DF1 Full Duplex driver to "1770-KF2/1784-KE/SCANPort". That will cause RSLinx Classic to send browse messages to nodes 00 (oct) to 77 (oct) and recognize the replies correctly.

I checked the S:34/5 bit is set to 1. There is a RSLinx station on DH+ that is running RSView32. I will need to check the node address on DH+. So if I am reading this correctly, by changing the device type to Scanport it will see all of the DH+ devices through the Channel 1 DF1 Port? The SLC 5/04 in question is Node 6 on DH+ and Source ID 9 on DF1. Will it show up as Node 6?

If you change the Device Type in the RSLinx driver configuration to "1770-KF2/1785-KE/SCANport", the SLC-5/04 should show up as its DH+ address, which is 6.

I'm not certain what would appear if you set the Device Type to KF2/KE/SCANPort and also disabled DF1 Passthrough. My best guess is that the SLC-5/04 would appear in the browse as DH+ Node 11 (octal) = 9 (decimal).

Since your goal is just to get access to the SLC-5/04 program itself, the simple thing is to change the Device Type.

Let us know if this resolves the issue !