How to derive I.P. from MAC address

jdbrandt

Lifetime Supporting Member
Is there a good way to derive a device's I.P. address, if you know the device's MAC address?

The net's general grouping is known (192.168.1.???)

In this case, the device is a rack-mounted TSX WMY 100 'Factory Connect' module.

If I understand, Select run and type in cmd and then type arp -a
in the DOS window. I believe this will return the IP and MAC address of the devices on the network.

Hope This Helps

If I understand, Select run and type in cmd and then type arp -a
in the DOS window. I believe this will return the IP and MAC address of the devices on the network.

Hope This Helps

I use ARP /A all the time, and, it only shows the addresses that it has resolved already, after you PING the port, or after some program on your computer access that I.P. address.

Great suggestion, however.

Everybody ought to know how to use ARP /A, in my opinion.

Only to expound on what Bob O said - the arp table is the way to go but will only be populated on a PC if there has been recent device-PC comms. If you just plug in a laptop to the network, chances are you won't see it. If you have been talking to it, then it will show.

Some other options if the arp table doesn't have it:

1. Set up Wireshark and sniff the ethernet frames off that line. Helps to have a managed switch with port mirroring (you DO have a managed switch, don't you???) but even if you don't all is not lost. Power cycle the device and sniff with wireshark on the regular switch and the device will produce Gratuitous ARPs on bootup which will announce the MAC and IP address. These are broadcast so even a switch will send these to every port. Just power cycle the device and that will cause bootup. A hub instead of switch will easily show all network traffic passing through with Wireshark, so is actually easier.
2. Use canned software to map the network - Schneider has something along those lines and since you using their hardware the local sales guy may loan you a copy or something.
3. Write a script to ping every device in the network... looping through. Only suggest if (1) is not possible.

Is this device communicating with another device? In that case you could use a network analyzer like wireshark to caputere the messages from this device.