The APS thingy :(

Pierre

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

Perhaps some have a good memory. (or is it a bad one when it retains such old stuff ?)

I friend has APS loaded in a new Dell Laptop.

He managed to boot with dual partition to start with W95 and runs APS in DOS mode (through the exclusive auto reboot procedure).

He gets an error when he wants to go online with Interchange(s'got the latest version ) . The errors mention the wrong IRQ with his com1 .

Interchange uses com1 with IRQ4 but his laptop has it configured to IRQ3.

He goes into interchange ini files and changes it to IRQ3 but when he starts the software again, it comes back to IRQ4.

What to do?

Any suggestions.

All my info where gathered on the phone so I dont have access to more. I suggested to him a few things but maybee there is some better informed info on this.

He has phone AB ... Ha Ha Ha !! !
Was told they have nobody who even know the software :( Who could blame them?

The thing is that he has it installed on 2 other older laptop and it works just fine.

His Laptop is 2.4Ghz Dell with XP (which was removed through format)

AB technical support does know about this, but they just don't want to do it... I've been at this call center many times (about 2 miles from here) and have some friends there ;)

Speaking of the port: the correct IRQ for COM1 and COM3 is IRQ4 and it should be set in BIOS. For COM2 and COM 4 it is IRQ3.

The IRQ used in Windows may be different and just ignore this.
Check in BIOS first.

Contr_Conn said:
AB technical support does know about this, but they just don't want to do it... I've been at this call center many times (about 2 miles from here) and have some friends there ;)

Speaking of the port: the correct IRQ for COM1 and COM3 is IRQ4 and it should be set in BIOS. For COM2 and COM 4 it is IRQ3.

The IRQ used in Windows may be different and just ignore this.
Check in BIOS first.

Of course they know about this. But there is a limit to where a company has to go. This software is VERY old.

My friend uses it to make very minor changes to the programs. I told him many times that he should purchase the new Win based software. Only his arguments are solid. IT WORKS.

Told him 'bout the BIOS and the fact that he should write everything he does on paper so he could come back to his old settings.

Tancks. cc

Hi Guys
I just thought i would put my 2 cents in it may help
Some older DOS based Programs access the com ports by address and irq onle if you select com 1 in the setup the program will go to the address of com 1 should be address 3F8 irq 4 if not the program may not work. com ports are a windows thing if using dos use the port address.

Not really an answer to your question but I would suggest to this person to pick up an old laptop on e-bay for use as a DOS machine and not kluge up the new Dell w/ obsolete software. Then the machine can be customized just for APS.

I had an IBM Thinkpad 380D that I couldn't get APS/Interchange to work on and we ended up sending it to AB to fix. The older NEC Versa we had installed ok. Interchange was a mess so it may take a little effor to set up no matter what route they go. But, once it is set up it is usually ok.