SLC-500 software

Willdozer

I discovered a discarded SLC-500 unit with chassis & power supply, processor, 4 input cards and 4 output cards. I had SLC programming about 12 years ago in an electro-mechanical class but have not touched it since. I would like to experiment with it but do not know exactly what software is needed and if I have to pay the prices of what the A-B website shows. Also, it looks like I might need the RSLogix software to connect, but I am not sure. This one also has a high $ price on it. Is there a free or cheap program(s) available? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Could you possibly have meant 1747-L552 instead of 1747-L522? If so, then I believe that would be a SLC 5/05.

I do apologize. I am going off of a blurry picture I took with my phone this morning. I will verify everything tonight when I get home and post the info. Attached is part of the picture I took.

SLC-500.JPG

Last edited:
If you want to have a PLC to mess around with and learn to program, you might try trading your 5/03 for a Micrologix 1000 or Micrologix 1100 which can be programmed with the free version of RSLogix500 called RSLogix Micro Starter Lite.

http://www.ab.com/programmablecontrol/plc/micrologix/downloads.html

That 5/03 is more powerful than most of the Micrologix PLCs and retails for > $1500, so you should be able to find a Micrologix 1000 or 1100 for trade (the 1100 are newer and more prized though.)

Then, you can download the free software and learn most of what you would learn with the 5/03.

The processor is a 1747-L532 SLC 5/03 like you had figured. I found a RSLogix 5000 V17 Demo that will work for 90 days. Will I be able to connect to the PLC or do I need the RSlinx program also?

Sorry, but RSLogix 5000 is for the newer Logix series of PLCs. If you can find a copy of any version of RSLogix 500 (except the Micro version which I believe doesn't have the "500" in its title), then you will be good to go.

RSLinx will be required, but the free version (RSLinx Lite) is included on everything Rockwell publishes, and is available for download.