Light show

Pepper

Hello everyone!
Can someone help me with some simple light show in Ladder logic, or Christmas lights... whatever, just the PLC lights need to change in diferrent pattern (it can be 2-3 patterns). I work with TwidoSoft. If someone can send me pictures with Ladder logic it will be great! Or if you can redirect me to some posts from this forum that can help me.
Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Well, How would you expect the logic to work? Can you setup a functional diagram and hash out an expected series of steps?

If you can manage that, I'm sure someone can give you help on the actual PLC programming.

I really doesn't need any specific diagram. I need just simple changing lights with no sounds. It can be whatever really (twinkling one by one, in a row, every second one... ) it really doesn't matter, it can be just anything. I guess only timers will be used. And that's it.

Yes. Actually, the program will be tested on a PLC (I don't really know the brand) connected with the computer, not on a real Christmas lights. So I just need a program that will make the little diodes of the PLC light up in different pattern (It can be simple one) and that's it.

I couldn't resist.
All the lights on my PLC change in a pattern..sometimes not the pattern I wanted.

Good Luck on your project..

It is not really a homework. More of some kind of project that I have to make if I want to go home for the holidays.

I have no Twido experience, but I would simply run a self resetting timer for say 1/2 a second, and every time it gets done, increment a pointer. If that pointer exceeds the number of patterns I want to store and use, I reset that pointer so zero.

Then I'd use indirect addressing (if possible) to move the data from a table Integer(pointer) to an output card.

Then, you simply populate the integer file with ones and zeros to create what ever pattern you want.

Try something - show us what you have. We're not bound to due your homework (I know, I know... "not really a homework"...) for you. It's the end of the semester - surely you've learned something in your class!

Yeah, I've learned how to program a toaster:) and also things that use the keys for the PLC, but other that that, nothing. And also we were four people on one PLC, and no one wanted to give the computer to me, because I'm a girl. It's really frustrating actually.
If I bother you too much with this, I'm so sorry.

No, pepper, it's not that you're bothering us. You won't learn anything if we do it for you. We want you to KNOW what you're doing and WHY you're doing it -- not just copying what we do for you.

So, HOW would you attack this project? Programming a toaster or a light show or a flour mill (in my personal case) or whatever widget-maker you can think of all involves the same discipline. The first step is to DEFINE what you want to do. Make a flow chart, write it in pseudocode, or a process narrative, or whatever you want to call it. DEFINE your process. How does it start? How does it stop? How does it step from one phase to the next?

THEN define you inputs and outputs, which then leads you to your hardware.

Then, while you're waiting for your hardware to arrive, you start writing code. You don't write code first -- which is the mistake you're starting to make.

So --

What do you want to display? You suggest some random or pseudo-random outputs will be adequate. I propose that a simple binary counter fits the bill. But you could just as easily define something else -- but it has to be defined.

THEN, when you've defined what you want to display -- HOW do you make that happen? Take that number regardless of the source and map it to your outputs. Do you know how to do that? Or do you know where to look?

THEN What are your process steps? (How do you know when to display the next assortment of lights?)

We're not trying to frustrate you! I promise! But in real life, you must be able to break down projects into something manageable. In real life, there will RARELY be somebody who has already automated exactly what you're needing, so you'll have to figure out how to do it yourself.

Around here, we love to help you learn. Show us what you already have. What worked, what didn't. Ask specific questions and we'll gladly help guide you. We want you to grow into the coworker we'd love to work alongside or to hire.

Those of us who have already answered in this thread have many years of combined experience. And there's one (PLC Kid) who's new -- and it's been fun watching him learn and grow in his career. We want the same for you! Trust me -- help us to help you and you'll learn way more than you will sharing a PLC in a lab.

@Pepper

As OZEE said people on this forum are here to help. They won't do it for you turn key but trust me i speak from experience people on this forum will go far out of there way to help you but they want to see you making a real effort.

There are as many combinations to do christmas lights as there are stars in the sky. It depends on the hardware you have and how much time you want to spend.

Think about how many steps you want and in each step how many lights on and how many off and then how much time before the next step and how you want to transition to the next step.

PLC's work pretty good for christmas lights. I have 2 old plc 5 racks that we removed from equipment in my facility that i use for christmas lights at my moms house.

The neighborhood kids love it.

Thanks, well I guess I will try to do something tomorrow. And thank you about the well wishes, but actually I will never be PLC programmer. My specializing is in web developing:) But in school we have this also, and even though I think its fun, I just can't understand it.
But thank you anyways:)
And no no, I do not need hardware, I just need to make Ladder logic in Twidosoft, and then deliver it to school where it can be tested on some large controllers. Just that.

Last edited: