Avoiding A-B Networking Headaches

RKovacic

I'm about to connect separate systems together on a DH-485 network. Each system has a Micrologix 1500 PLC connected with a PanelView touch screen via AIC converters.

There are several goals with this project:
1)Allow local lockout of touchscreens, and remote unlocking
2)Allow remote control in case of touchscreen failure

Part of the project will be to put new, identical programs into each touchscreen. Of couse, the PLC programs will need some changes to take their functions to the 'global' level.

I am looking for suggestions that would help me avoid headaches while pursuing success with this project. I am a self-taught PLC programmer, with about 10 years experience, but this is my first try at networking separate systems together. I'll be on vacation for a week. I look forward to reading the replies that come along!

touchscreen failure

The first thing I notice right away is your statement:

"..in case of touchscreen failure"

This is a bit tricky with a Panelview, but I found
a way around the limitations that are inherent in the
hardware.

1.) Have the Panelview report the clock minutes to a
PLC register.

2.) Monitor said register in the PLC.

3.) If the register in the PLC that is updated by the
Panelveiw's 'minutes' remains the same for more than
119 seconds, the Panelview is not updating the time, and
may not be working (might be uploading or downloading)