AutomationDirect DO6 Project, I have a Couple of quick questions.

randy741985

I have a new project using Automation Direct DirectSoft5 to program a D06 PLC. Looking threw the Software today it seems very similar to TI505 format of programming. This is a small project so I hope theres not that much of a learning curve. My
questions are would it be a bad Idea to create subroutines to seperate the code,. And does anyone have any pointers as far as
shortcuts I noticed that its faster to use the hotkeys because there is no Drag and drop and copy pasting a instruction is not
allowed either. Im sure once you get this PLC programmed it works as good as any but at first glance it doesnt seem very user friendly, maybe thats the reason its only 495.00$.

Thanks In Advance.

And I hope I didnt offend any Automation Direct Users...

It may look familiar because their DL305 series was brand-labeled to a few different manufacturers over the years. One was the Siemens TI305.

The subroutine layout in DirectSOFT is not viewed as a folder structure like some other software, so you just see one long program, with the subroutines at the end. It's up to you whether you want to use them or not. I use them so I can easily enable/disable sections of code.

I very rarely touch the mouse when programming in DirectSOFT. Once you get used to it, it's MUCH faster (IMO, of course).

🍻

-Eric

I am not a big fan of this software so you will NOT offend me... If they had a better way to break the code down into different section it would be much better, every large program that I have made or worked on is very hard to break down into sections

I have seen a lot of programs made by others and they also have the same problems

One nice thing/trick that I have seen is grouping your rungs by adding two NOP rungs before and after the section

so....

--------NOP
--------NOP
code
code
code
code
etc.
-------NOP
-------NOP

So when you are troubleshooting or someone else they will know that every section is one group/area of the process or machine

Hope this helps

Mark

Yes Being able to seperate the code and disable when theres issue during debug is a great feature.

I also noticed that the vmemory values are not displayed in the ladder is something turned off are is this correct.

Thanks

I also noticed that the vmemory values are not displayed in the ladder is something turned off are is this correct.

Thanks

Randy,

If you are speaking of a Vmem in a timer or counter or compare contact then when you are online click Debug, "all status on". If you are speaking of a Vmem in a accumulator "stack" then your only choice is to use a "data view".

Im back with another question about the AD DO6, Im programming a PID and My question is about auto to manual, so after placing the PID in manual I can write directly to my CV?

thanks in advance.

To guarantee that you can write to the PID's output value, you will need to "request" a manual mode change by setting the "request bit" and wait until a read of the auto/manual indication bit shows the loop is in manual. If you don't do it this way, your write will (somtimes) be overwritten by the loop calculation...no predicting which one will dominate unless your are indeed in manual. Also, do yourself a favor and don't take the PID loop's output and hook it directly to an real output...do the transfer in ladder so you can decide if it is appropriate to write a particular value. If you do it this way, you can also avoid doing PID auto/manual changes. You can put the PID into a "quasi-manual" mode by making the SP=PV when you want...LD PV; OUT SP. It helps to keep the PID loop's values abstracted from the user's SP, PV, etc.

Last edited:
Im also using a cmore 8" touch screen, I have used these before with AB ML and export the tag name database and imported into the Cmore. Now im trying to figure that out on the D06 how to export the database to CSV file does anyone know how to?

Thanks

Better late then never. But how about Stage programming. I used it in the past and it worked out really good. From the stand point of trouble shooting point the electricians were able use stage view to see where the process was stopping.

Have A Good Day
Tom