AutomationDirect Lead times

PaulKraemer

Hi,

For a very long time, I have been using Allen-Bradley CompactLogix or ControlLogix PLC's for more complex applications with bigger budgets, and I have been using AutomationDirect PLC's for simpler applications with smaller budgets.

I have not purchased a new PLC since late 2020, when I used a ControlLogix for one application and an AutomationDirect BRX (Do-more) PLC for a small project. I have another small project now for which I need a PLC. I was pretty much set on using an AutomationDirect BRX PLC, but I see that their lead times are extremely long (four months). Tech support told me this is because they are having a very hard time getting the chips that go in to these.

I know that chip shortages have caused issues with many automation products over the last couple years, but I thought this was getting better (granted, without first hand evidence). I am wondering if anyone here can tell me if you have experienced similar lead times with other PLC brands? If these lead times are common with most manufacturers, I'll be able to wait four months. I'm just afraid this might be indicative of an issue specific to AutomationDirect that might make it advisable to go a different direction. The project I'm working on will likely be the first of three similar projects. I'd hate to choose a PLC only to find out that the product line gets retired due to unsolvable problems in a few months.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Paul

The chip shortage is hitting everyone. The AutomationDirect lead times are seemingly better than others. You may want to look at the Productivity lines also. AllenBradley lead times are terrible still. I have orders for 1734 safety IO that was placed in Nov. 2022 with expected delivery date of Feb. 2024.

AllenBradley lead times are terrible still. I have orders for 1734 safety IO that was placed in Nov. 2022 with expected delivery date of Feb. 2024.

1734 safety I/O supposedly have a lead time of 221 days currently, fwiw

It's amazing what the lead times are on some stuff that doesn't have chips too.

Friend purchased I/O off the grey market Allen Bradley.
Received Chinese knock offs.
Pretty good reproductions but serial numbers not in Allen Bradley's database.
1. No warranty
2. More importantly,
if it is safety related compliance will not allow them to be plugged in.

One nice thing about AutomationDirect's website it shows if an item is in stock or not, and the lead times if it isn't in stock have been pretty accurate so far.

Friend purchased I/O off the grey market Allen Bradley.
Received Chinese knock offs.
Pretty good reproductions but serial numbers not in Allen Bradley's database.
1. No warranty
2. More importantly,
if it is safety related compliance will not allow them to be plugged in.

these are what they call 4th shift production....

Either units that didn't pass muster and were supposed to be destroyed or scrapped, but found their way out the back door and never got the stamp of approval. Tends to be why you find a lot of knockoff things that don't work nearly as well or have a bad track record for failure compared to ones that did pass.

Thank you g.mccormick, drbitboy, plylce, the_msp, Davieboy, and arpus4km for your feedback. I get the feeling I'm not going to find anything faster than the Automation Direct parts I was already planning to use (and for which I have already completed my electrical drawings). I'll order them and hope for the best that four months is reasonably accurate.

I appreciate your help!
Best regards,
Paul

Four months is not bad and is better than some lead times I got for some Allen-Bradley parts recently