Powerflex 4 Parameters Over DH-485?

califflash

I am working on a motor control project at my plant. I am utilizing 2 PowerFlex4 drives as well as a lot of other contactors for other loads. All of this is controlled by a ML1200 and Red Lion G306. I am using control wires for the drives' start and stop operations for safety and reliability. The drive speed references are given by the Red Lion. I have gotten all of this done so far.

We are in a heavy washdown environment (read: everything is wet 100% of the time and we use 1000psi w/ chemicals for sanitation), so drives burn out from time to time primarily resulting from condensation or when a motor takes the drive to the grave with it. My maintenance men are not very adept at working on anything with blinking lights to compound this problem.

I would like to add the functionality of programing the drive parameters over the DH-485. Basically I want them to be able to set the parameters to talk on the network and then hit a button on the touch screen to load the rest of the parameters to the PF4. This will ease installation and also prevent conflicting paramaters in drives that are from salvaged equipment.

The PF4 manual is a bit confusing on the addressing used though. To write the accel time 1 to the drive would I write to 400039? Also, it seems the Red Lion likes to constantly write tags over the connected networks. I don't want to slow down my speed updates, so is there a way to only send those tags over Dh-485 Modbus RTU Master on a button press? I am hoping someone with more experience will be able to help me out.

On a side note, I am new to using the Red Lion touchscreens. I can read the logic status data word to a bit array in the Red Lion. My question is how do I do anything with this. I don't understand how to read the data out of the array so that I can run it through a script and change the drive status on the display the way I want. I understand the scripting and how to change my display, already displaying error codes, just not how to read the array into the script.

If anyone could give me a SHORT example on any of this I would greatly appreciate it. I have already satisfied the requirements for the project, but am trying to make it that much better, and my life easier down the road.

I found some more informatio and my assumption was correct. Using a red lion you would read from address 400001 to read d001 and write to 400036 to write to parameter p036. Does Anyone have some advice on reading the bit array or limiting when the tags are updating drive parameters for the red lion?