SLC 5/04 to LED IPdisplay

aogma

I am trying to have an LED display from IPdisplays (model # IPLED32x224RG) to read data from a SLC 5/04 processor. I have the display connected to the network through ethernet, as well as an ENI card to connect the SLC 5/04 to the same network. Any suggestions, advice, or guidance as how to go about reading from the processor?

Welcome to the forum. I am not familiar with the display you're using, but if it can "talk" to a SLC over ethernet then it will probably be possible to do so through the NET-ENI.

Make sure you have the IP addresses set for both the NET-ENI and the display so they're compatible.

Make sure the NET-ENI serial port is set up to match the SLC.

If possible, ping both devices from a PC on the network to make sure the ethernet side of things is connected properly.

Post as many details as you can and you should get good replies.

Paul

I took the time to register with their website and found that the only reference to EtherNet/IP was a "Now Available !" note in the feature list. There's nothing that I can find on the website that refers to how their displays use EtherNet/IP.

I'm not going to download a 500 MB CD image to check to see if they have an application note; is there something that came with the display or that you've seen as a customer that describes their functionality on EtherNet/IP ?

I agree that if the device supports "PCCC Encapsulation" over EtherNet/IP and can communicate with an SLC-5/05 or MicroLogix 1100 that the SLC-5/04 with Net-ENI is equivalent.

Doe this system use ASCII over 232 or 485? This may br an easier setup. I usually have them up and running in under an hour. The display logic is what takes some time.

Re:

Both the display and NET-ENI have addresses, and I can ping both devices successfully. The NET_ENI serial port is connected and matched to the SLC.

Under the ipdisplay's interface, the menu "EthernetIP Client" asks for the Server IP, Path, and Connection Items. Under the menu "Data Sources", Source URL, Source Type, and Parse Type are all requested, but I have no idea as what needs to be entered into these parameters.

Any clue?

Server IP is going to be the IP address of the 1761-NET-ENI. In this kind of setup, the display is the "Client" and the Net-ENI is the "Server".

The Path is used with ControlLogix controllers which can be in any slot of the rack; it's usually "1, x" where "1" is the backplane port of the 1756-ENBT and "x" is the slot number of the controller. When you're using a Net-ENI the conventional thing to do when you're using EtherNet/IP with a "multi-hop" header is to address it like a ControlLogix in Slot 0, so the path is "1, 0". Your display might use commas or spaces between the path elements so check the documentation.

The Connection items are either CIP Assembly numbers, ControlLogix Tag Names, or PLC/SLC Data Table Addresses. You're definitely going to need a description or example from the display vendor.

I suspect the Source URL, Source Type, and Parsing Type are for applications where the data to be displayed on the marquee is stored in an XML or HTML file.