system requirement

harrydeharry

Hello to all,

I just want to install GX-developer,Simatic Manager,Micro win, WinCC flexible, Rs-logix,Rs-view,GP-PRO etc...,I mean almost all programming softwares and SCADA of different make PLC's/HMI because in my new company every second machine has different make of PLC.I just install all of this stuff in single laptop.
My question is that, those pocket laptop having atom processor which is cheaper and smaller in size than normal one's is capable enough or not. If yes then I will go for it, if not then what would be the ideal configuration of a laptop for all this stuff.

Please suggest.

Thanks in advance.

Harry,

I am in the same situation as you, numerous makes of PLC's

I would be careful puting Siemens and Rockwell on the same laptop, i did have issues with it, it did work, espicially RSLINX hogging the com port. I was lucky enough to get my company to buy me a genuine FIELD PG for my Siemens stuff.

I must be one of the few very lucky people to a latop running Windows 95 with a ral serial port that i use for the old MEDOC 🍻

I have Siemens and Rockwell software on the same laptops, no problem.
RSLinx hogging the serial port is not a problem as long as you are aware of it and know how to turn it off.

Atom is not enough to work productively with Siemens software. Dont know about the others.

And, since laptops with atom proxcessors often are low-cost with only Win XP home, or Win 7 Starter or similar, you should also be aware that a lot of software requires at least Windows XP Pro or Windows 7 Pro.

Also, go for a screen with at least 1280x800. Atom PCs often have tiny 1024x600 screens or like that.