Motor connection to VFD

Adam303

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi friends I'm in need of help as how to connect motor leads to a vfd. This motor has two speeds Low and High, costumer wants to be able to control the speed with a Vfd. This machine is from Europe and runs on 380 Volts. Attached is a electrical schematic.
Thank You

Motor.jpg

Disconnect all but line connections TU1,TV1,TW1 and connect motor in delta (TU1 to TV2, TV1 to TW2, TW1 to TU2) connect VFD in place of the o/load unit.

Steve

What is the range of the high speed and the low speed? Which range do you want? What kind of vfd is it?

Wire the motor for the speed range you want and setup the vfd for that range if high speed what is the high speed max? then put that in your vfd with the voltage and HZ from the name plate.

Is the high speed range of the motor high enough or do you want to over speed? Is it a inverter duty motor?

Your drawing does not indicate a two speed motor. I believe it shows wye delta start / run.

If this is really the motor it is even simpler since it is only a single speed motor. Hook 3 motor leads to VFD, set initial parameters start it up and check rotation. Of course this assumes you have done homework Motor and VFD size ie HP matching etc. Do not forget about dynamic braking issues - if any.

You can take all the relays for wye delta setup and place in stores.

Dan Bentler

i would say you have a star delta start drawing (not a 2speed motor).You can either hook up the motor terminals in delta then connect the three leads from the VFD or connect the motor and VFD in inside delta ( use a smaller VFD)

Hi,
How many wire connections is there in that motor? 6 or 9?
When i´ll look at this, it seems to be a 3 speed! Normally theres
only 3 relays in a Dahlandermotor steering right?

BjarkeSS

Where's Dick? Or DanW?

I am not sure I understand the drawing well enough to dub it a star delta. I am looking for an indication of the interlocking and sequencing of the switchgear before I could say, but one of the motor gurus might be able to set us straight.

Of course, a photo of the nameplate would be great too...barring that possibility, some resistance checks might reveal a lot.

How many poles? RPM low? high?

Insufficient data IMHOO.

Of course, a photo of the nameplate would be great too...
The name plate is all chew up and corroded so nothing on that, here is some more info on the motor from the manual.

motor.jpg

Attachments

• img023.pdf
    189.6 KB · Views: 52
looks to me like you use 1 and 4 to start in one speed (star ) then switch to 1 and 3 (delta ) to run . or for the other speed you use 2 and 4 to start again star and then switch 2 and 3 again delta to run.
When using 2,3 and 4 you have doubled the number of pairs of poles and N =f/p

Last edited:
@PlcKid
What is the range of the high speed and the low speed? Which range do you want? What kind of vfd is it?
I believe the high speed RPM is 2945 and low is 1475. I want to be able run the motor to highest speed.
Is the high speed range of the motor high enough or do you want to over speed? Is it a inverter duty motor?
The highest motor speed is high enough and yes this is a inverter duty motor.

The larger drawing helped me to find two windings in motor. Interesting setup two speed and if I interpret correctly can have wye start delta run in both speeds.

What will those European guys think of next?
Dan Bentler

Gosh I am rusty on sideways prints...and they hurt my neck...I should defer to a european or a motor expert before I make a mistake...the legend in the attachment tells a lot though, but now we need the legend for the controls or more chicken scratching to tell me what is what as far as the switches.