Delat Vs.Wye Motor

The Plc Kid

What are the pro's and con's of wiring a euro motor for wye or delta when you have both options?

Do you gain any more or less torque with either method?

In general is the speed the same?

Last edited:
Give us the data from the nameplate a photo screen shot would be good
Volts amps Kw Hz speed

Then what voltage do you have available to connect it to.
this is the decider for Star or Delta connecting ( Wye Delta )
Also add HZ available

The speed does not vary as the number of poles stay the same

e.g.

230/400V D/Y 1,7/1A
0.37 kW 2800 rpm

if your netsystem is

3x230V: use Delta, nominal current is 1,7A, power is 0,37 kW, speed is 2800 rpm.

3x400V: use wye, nominal current is 1A, power is 0,37 kW, speed is 2800 rpm.

Keep in mind: the higher the current, the thicker the cable. And of course if your motor can run in delta, you can use the wye-delta-starting method.

Maybe this pdf is helpfull:

http://www.mandc.co.za/pdfs/Star_Delta_Starting_and_Dual_Voltage_Motors_Explained.pdf

I understand, but somehow leitmotif also caught on the european thing which made me think that maybe it was commonplace.
Nevermind - its not important - just pussled in case wye-delta is considered a european thing over there.

Jesper

Most u.s. motors at least the one's that i have worked with are delta only. Single or dual voltage and the dual voltage is the most common place.

Most motors that are Wye or Delta that we see here are from european based Mfg companies typically.

Again at least in my limited experience.

PLC Kid, in the world of NEMA motors, those 25hp and smaller are generally wound wye. Above 25hp, the norm is delta.

Where NEMA motor differ from IEC motors is that NEMA dual winds the pole coils so, in parallel, they are 230V and in series they are 460V. The standard IEC practice is to single wind each pole but bring out to the junction box both ends of each coil (six leads). For 230V, the coils are connected in delta, for 400V, the coils are connected in wye.

What makes the IEC system work is the fact that the two common voltages are 230/400 which is a ratio of 1.73 or the square root of three. In the NEMA world, the two common voltages are 230/460 which is a ratio of 2.00. That forces the windings to be different.

I understand, but somehow leitmotif also caught on the european thing which made me think that maybe it was commonplace.
Nevermind - its not important - just pussled in case wye-delta is considered a european thing over there.

Jesper I go along with what Kid said. In my experience wye delta motors seem to be made in europe. Also that is what I was told.

Regardless of where it was made I think it is a good option.

Dan Bentler