Possible to program S7 PLC through Profi port?

uptown47

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,
I wondered if someone can clarify something for me? Is it possible to program a Siemens S7-300 PLC through the Profibus port using a USB PC Adapter (6ES7-972-0CB20-0XA0) attached to just a normal Dell PC (i.e. not a Siemens PG).

I seem to remember years ago someone learning that you needed a PG to program through the Profibus port due to the PG supplying the power (and the profi port not having it's own power source) or something like that????

I've now heard that it should be possible with the new USB leads to program through the profi port and I wondered if someone could let me know if they've managed this successfully?

Many thanks

;-))

It was never a requirement that the PC adapter should be used with a PG.
The requirement was that the PC adapter needs 24V to the connector on the MPI/DP side. There is 24V in the MPI or DP ports on the S7 CPUs, but not in DP slaves or panels.
Not sure if the 24V is still needed for USB adapters.

It was never a requirement that the PC adapter should be used with a PG.
The requirement was that the PC adapter needs 24V to the connector on the MPI/DP side. There is 24V in the MPI or DP ports on the S7 CPUs, but not in DP slaves or panels.
Not sure if the 24V is still needed for USB adapters.

Hi Jesper, I knew that you didn't need a PC adapter for a PG (probably didn't word it very well in my question) but thank you for clearing up the "24V required" side of things.

That makes sense then. So I can program a PLC with a dell computer and my PC adapter but not an ET200 for instance.

;-)

Programming the S7 CPU if connected via USB adapter directly to ET200S and Profibus cable:
I am not sure if there is the same limitation as there was with the serial PC adapter. Give it a try and let us know.

I would try to sell them PN/DP cpu's.

Unfortunately, I'm no longer the 'supplier' but now work for a factory and have become an 'end user'. I didn't get consulted on the original spec for this job but have just been informed about the profi network therefore wanted to make sure that me and my colleagues would still be able to get 'online' and program with the gear we have once this new line gets installed.

You're right though, the PN/DP cpu's are the way to go. Much better than messing around with ethernet lean cards et al.

;-)

No, I meant to "sell the idea" for those who can make the decision. Im sure we can get nice list where to base your argument on.

One is equipments life. All new siemens cpu's are to my knowledge equipped with PN interface, so if there is cpu's coming that have no PN interface they are already in end of their life.

Second technically future proof. All kind of OEE systems are easier to make trough OPC and such, also system integration is lot easier to do with ethernet systems.

It should be little cost to change cpu. If purchase is not made yet and delivered.

TurpoUrpo, thanks for the info but all the equipment is spec'd and bought (although I'm not sure the exact model of CPU - I only know that it's Siemens S7-300).

STL, thanks for the link. Is your CP5512 built into an old PG ?